Tuesday 20 December 2011

A VISITOR AND AN UNENEXPECTED GIFT


We were all very sleepy this morning and not one of us felt at all like getting up but with a grocery delivery due and a hospital appointment for Pa it was a case of needs must.
Our breakfast of cheesy oatcakes was lovely and very filling, the first breakfast of the holidays is always fun and tidy was no exception. With the whole of the holiday stretching out before us we cracked jokes and giggled and inevitably chivvied Pa along as he was inclined to dawdle over getting up.

After Pa had gone I did the p[reparation for tonight’s dinner, roast pork with roasted vegetables jacket wedges with tarragon dip and garlic sauce. A knock at the door announced a visitor and my son let him in , he had brought with him a beautiful table centre of poinsettia, ivy, and planted in a basket and all tied with a big red bow, a present he told me and a thank you for the cake I made for his birthday.

I was surprised and delighted,it looked so lovely in the centre of the kitchen table and it solved a problem for me. You see each year a few days before Christmas day I go in to the woods and collect a little holly to make our table centre and to decorate the kitchen. This year I knew that for the first time I should be unable to do this as at the moment I am having difficulty walking even on a flat surface so the uneven log strewn woodland floor would be dangerous for me. Truth to tell I had been a little sad about this, I know that of course my son would go out and collect some holly if I asked but you see ever since I was a tiny child this has been my job, and one that I have always loved.

I adore the fresh cold air, the smell of damp earth and toadstools, the blackbirds scolding as I disturb their holly feast and above all the feeling of kinship with all the people who have over the centuries collected holly to decorate their homes at Christmas. Some how the arrival of the flower basket and the goodwill with which it was given cheered me and as we drank our coffee I thought how lucky we are to have such kind friends.

Later I did go out and took some photographs of holly and ivy for my blog, thanks to a good zoom I got some descent pictures and my enjoyment of the fresh air was as great as ever. Life has its compensations to be sure.

Dinner went well and we finished the meal with iced cream and some of the raspberry sauce I made yesterday with our own raspberries from the freezer and white chocolate flakes. A glass of home made cherry brandy finished the meal with a flourish.

The cat Twiggy is enjoying the holiday, she loves to have us all at home as that means there are more people to stroke, feed and generally wait upon her every whim. My Lady feasted on pork this evening after which she washed her pretty whiskers and then went to sleep under the Christmas tree on a pile of presents. If there is one thing that cat knows it is how to look cute!

We all want an early night as for some reason we seem to be extremely tired but this is no problem. Tomorrow the fun begins again and I hope that we shall have time to get out the Scalextric set my son and I brought a couple of years ago, he like me refuses to grow up and good for him. He spends a lot of his time having to be serious so at home anything goes, and why not?

Now its off to bed for me and the cat who will not be happy until she has warmed her chilly little paws on my nice warm skin...there is nothing like being made a convenience of after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment