Friday 16 December 2011

BULGING AT THE SEAMS.


Increasingly I am finding it very difficult to find homes for each new batch of baking and the kitchen looks as if we are expecting a siege. From time to time the occasional visitor makes a slight dent in the mountain of cookies and cakes but we are still buried in the stuff! Today it was mince pies and oatcakes.

The day did not begin well as Pa was feeling unwell having spent the night feeling queasy,the result I suspect of an overdose of toffee! However he managed to eat a lightly boiled egg for breakfast and then went back to bed for a couple of hours.....not to self...makes sure that in my next incarnation I come back as man!

I soldiered on in the lovely quiet kitchen and soon there were some lovely mince pies cooling on wire racks on the kitchen table. Then Pa remembered that he needed a prescription collecting and as I needed a breath of fresh air it seemed like a good idea to nip off before beginning a new task.

Out in the fresh air I felt better, I have been rather muzzy headed of late as the new medication I have to take has the side effect of making it difficult to concentrate, on matters in hand, it;s a bit like being high. I trundled down to the pharmacy which these days is like a drop-in centre and a fine place to go if you have lot of time to kill. If like me you are in a hurry it is upon my word the most infuriating place .

Today was much as usual and the three counter assistants chatted away to all and sundry while the poor pharmacist and I quietly tore our hair out!
After I had been in the shop for about fifteen minutes a chap came in and asked if his prescription was ready, he had left it with them an hour ago? It was not ready and I was beginning to panic when one of the assistance discovered the prescription was still in her pocket, history shall not record the poor man’s remarks at this revelation! Pa's prescription was ready and I grabbed it and ran.

Back home and Pa was feeling a little better so he went out to feed the birds and I got on with the oatcakes. While the batter was rising I finally got around to writing out the Christmas cards...I had been hoping for volunteers but in vain! I have lost my Christmas card list and with a fog in my brain at the moment I have struggle to remember everyone, I expect that there will be umbrage taken by the odd poor soul that escapes my clouded mind...oh well it cannot be helped.

I made a very easy dinner tonight. A variety of sausages with jacket potatoes and lots of grated cheese to put in them,there were no complaints.

More baking tomorrow,I love it , but not before Pa and I have had a good breakfast of oatcakes covered with melted cheese.............lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment