Sunday 18 December 2011

A CHRISTMAS PARTY


I am feeling very very Christmassy today,I had carols playing in the kitchen as I put the finishing touches to a Christmas party for some very special people. My son is lucky enough to work with the nicest, kindest and most hard working group of people that you could wish to find and he counts each of them as a friend rather than a colleague.
Speaking for myself I love each and every one of then for although we have never met my son speaks so highly of them all that I feel I do know them. There constant hard work often under very difficult circumstance makes my sons live much easier that it would otherwise be and I love them for that too.

This morning it seemed as if Father Christmas had come early for when I awoke there was a bag of lovely gifts and the most beautiful Christmas card waiting for me at my bedside, an all sent sent by my sons friends at work. I must admit to a tear of two for the gifts were so beautiful and exactly the sort of thing I love, and the many names on the card and the kind sentiments meant a great deal to me.

I have loved planning their party and enjoyed the baking too, for me it would not be Christmas without the fun this gives me and of course we eat some of the goodies too , Pa has has a great time this week trying this and that to make sure it passes muster. There was only one disaster this year and that was the millionaires shortbread, I used chocolate digestives for the base and I think that this may have caused to base to be rather too crumbly. I shall try again next year,if not sooner.

Pa treated us to fish and chips tonight which was a real treat for me and I really tucked in and enjoyed myself.
Tonight after I have bathed in my lovely new lavender bubble bath Pa and I shall drink our special hot chocolate from our lovely new mugs before turning in for the night, I might even pop a marshmallow in and be really decadent.

Tomorrow my son begins his week off and we are all looking forward very much to a few lazy mornings, late not card games and special Christmas meals. As a family were are all potty about Christmas and enjoy every part of the holiday. It is fun to have an excuse to do all the silly things Like playing hide and seek in the dark. A few Christmases ago we played this game every night for a week and had a hilarious time of it. Once I hid in the cupboard under the stair and got tangled up in an old sleeping bag, then a futon fell on me and buried me completely. It took the boys ages to extract me from my predicament and we roared with laughter the whole time.

We have to be a little more careful these days as our various infirmities have taken hold but we still lark about rather a lot for a couple of oldies with a grown up son. My mother, who is in her late eighties often asks my when I intend to grow up. I tell her that while I have to grow old I shall never grow up, at my age I think perhaps it is far too late to try.

Now I think I shall have that hot bath I mentioned earlier, and after that my snug bed awaits me, life is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment