Sunday 1 December 2013

COUNTDOWN






With just five days to go before Pa's operation there is a strangeness in the air which is affecting us all in different ways. Pa, brave man that he is seems calm and untroubled,amazing when you consider that if this difficult operation is not successful ,he could,by this time next week minus his left leg!

My son ,who has just successfully launched his latest book is counting down the days, and like me feels that he is in limbo. Pa's case is packed and everything is in readiness for Friday ,everything else has been shelved. We have wrapped a few presents,written a few cards,as one does but none of the usual fun and games.....we are all just waiting.

I know that Pa is going to the best hospital and has the best surgeon for the job but with so many complications with his general health it is hard to stay positive. Whenever I see my brave man I just want to hug him,I want to keep him safe,now it is up to others to help him, I can do no more.

We have tried to plan what we will do when he comes home after his surgery,just a few days before Christmas. For instance Pa will be in hospital on his birthday so we shall have his party when he comes home...and that sums it up..when he comes home....it is all we think about just now.

Meanwhile my own health continues to cause trouble ,side effects from my new medication are so severe that I have stopped taking them and must see my G.P tomorrow. Of course not taking the medication ,means a return of the pain, a no win situation.

In spite of all this when I look around the house I am conscious of how very lucky we are, pretty decorations give each room a festive air and at night the glow of candlelight adds to the homeliness we love so much.

As a family we are so very close ,we always have been, now the situation we are in makes us care even more for each others feelings and so in spite of the fact that for us Christmas is on hold ,for now, there is in our home so much love that I feel we are wrapped up in it .

My dear son,a tower of strength to me at this time is everything a mother could wish for in her son,he is strong for me,gentle with Pa and has a wisdom beyond his years. Watching him take on the mantle of responsibility as man of the house in our hour of need has made us both so very proud of our boy.


So you see,we really are very lucky indeed, a fine son and kind friends are treasures beyond price and I am so thankful that we have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment