Wednesday 11 December 2013

OLD SOFTY




Now if the truth be told I have a very sentimental side to my character, of which I am less than proud and which over the years I have been at pains to suppress.

It was I who cried as if her heart would break every time the teacher read “Bambi!" OK so I was only five years old at the time but he other kids gave me hell over it!
“Lassie come Home” shown at school as a Christmas treat had a similar effect....and still does!

“Its a Wonderful Life”wonderful film really gets the waterworks going especially the ending.
I was the mother who cried her eyes out when the infants class sang “Away In a Manger”,
I it was who sobbed for a hour after the final episode of “Morse”
You will by now begin to see my problem........it really can be a scourge.


Today I came totally unglued in,of all places T esco while shopping for some Christmas bits.
Shortly before entering the store I had been talking to Pa on my mobile,the poor boy is still in hospital and the doctors are concerned that the wound left by his operation is not healing as it should. We had all pinned our hopes on having him home today or tomorrow at the latest, now it looks as if we shall be lucky if we get him home by Monday next.

At the end of our conversation Pa said,in a small sad voice”I just want to come home.” and I was still reeling from this sad plea as I entered the shop.
Before continuing I must in my defence tell you that knowing my weakness In have deliberately kept the radio turned off and eschewed any programme on T.V which might contain carols....all to no avail.

I trundled in to the supermarket to the opening strains of Bing Crosby singing “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and in that moment I was lost. It was hopeless to blink back the tears which were already misting up my glasses, the lights were bright,the shop was crowded and there was nowhere to hide. It was awful.

By the time the song ended I was a complete wreck and had used up all the paper tissues from my handbag. I was aware that people were looking oddly at me but thankfully no one asked me any questions. One dear little child of about five stared at me for a long time and then suddenly gave me a hug and said”Don't be sad, it's Christmas.” bless her little heart.


I arrived home tired and still very sad, my son, my tower of strength welcomed me in, took the heavy bags to the kitchen and helped me to unpack. Almost as if he knew what have happened he said. “Mum, were going to start Christmas tonight, we need a treat.” And so we did. Once again I am astonished at his insight and innate wisdom. He would never call his old mum soppy,never,bless his darling heart.  

2 comments: