Saturday 7 December 2013

THE OPERATION,THE EVENING AND THE NEXT DAY.





Pa's ambulance arrived right on time this morning and whisked both him and my son of to an eventful day. Watching them drive away made me feel suddenly very much alone,and with a mind full of doubts and fears,I closed the front door and went into the kitchen to bake some bread.

It is odd how ones mind wanders in and out of a thousand memories at time like this and before I knew it the bread was in the oven,the kitchen was cleared and there I stood,facing the day and whatever it would bring with only the cats for company.

Normally I am very self sufficient and I rather like,in fact I actually need time by myself,today with,so much at stake I felt that company would have been a welcome relief.

Providence was kind to me and a knock at the door proved to be a young friend of ours who had been working in the area and had called in for a chat. Cookie tin broached and the kettle on the boil we sat down for an exchange of news,listening to him chat about the doings of my young family and his pretty wife helped enormously.

He listened calmly to my fears for Pa and offered wise council for which I was thankful and by the time he left a couple of hours later I was feeling much more like myself again.

All the same waiting is so hard and I kept checking my phone. Finally at three thirty my son called to tell me that Pa had JUST gone in to theatre and that it would be three hours at least before my son could expect to see him again. Hoping as I had been that my suspense would be over I was speechless and after telling my son to get something to eat went of for a mope around the darkening orchard before heading indoors to find some viands for myself.

How the time did drag along and somehow knowing that Pa was my being operated on made things worse and I really had a bad case of the jim jams well before I could expect any further news
.

Of course everyone who knew that today was the day of the op had to be called for knowing that he had been taken in early they had assumed that the operation would be over by mid afternoon, that little chore took an hour and one friend actually came to the house to ask if Pa was OK........and ask for my recipe for Lemon drizzle cake,cheeky madam!


Much much later.
Pa's operation took much longer that had been expected because of the severity of his bone damage ,however the consultant assures us that all went well and that Pa should have much less pain in future.

He finally got out of theatre at around seven last evening and by the time my poor son had seen him safely tucked up for the night he left the hospital so late that it was after ten before he made it back home. I do not think I have ever seen him so worn out and I cannot praise him enough for all he has done.

Saturday &Th December.

Pa called this morning to say he felt fine,had done some physio and had a good breakfast(yes the food is actually edible ) Of course we knew all this as we had called earlier to ask how he was.
He has now been moved to Derby Ward which means that he is out of danger.
My son has just left to visit him ,it is a two and a half hour journey each way but we all agree that the peace of mind we feel to have Pa in a hospital with not MRSA,C Dif, or any other of the nasty bugs to which our local hospital plays host, makes it well worth the trip.

Many thanks on Pa's behalf for all the enquiries .good wishes and cards and my own own thanks for all the moral support I have received from friends.


I may not blog again today unless there is anything startling to report so I will wish you all a wonderful ,happy weekend and blessings lit upon you all.

2 comments: