Thursday 10 November 2011

A CAT CALLED DIAMOND



Sleep eluded me last night, I listened to the news, I wandered around the top floor like a ghost,I made coffee and eventually I wrapped a pile of Christmas presents and made up one of the parcels for my family in the north. I was glad when it was time to make a coffee for Pa and to get on with the day.

Breakfast today was hot buttered crumpets and granary toast with some of the lovely honey I was given on Tuesday. I had lots to do today and as soon as Pa had set of to the Doctors I began the days chores, before long the fortnightly grocery delivery arrived and unpacking and putting away the things kept me busy for the next hour or so. I had the bathroom to clean and my room to do but first I made a coffee and went into the orchard with Twiggy.

We both realised at once that we had a visitor in the shape of a large Tom cat who we call Diamond, it is easy to see from his photograph how he came by his name. We have no idea as to the identity of his owner even though he has been visiting us for over three years. Twiggy is inclined to appear standoffish but she is very interested in him and today the two of them spent several hours companionably sitting in the orchard. Diamonds sat on the garden table and Twiggy in her tree house, occasionally they swapped places.

My plans to do house work came to nought as my telephone never stopped ringing until Pa returned at three. I made coffee and checked on the cats , Diamonds had managed to catch a rat and was munching happily, I shuddered at the crunching noise and hurried back inside.

After a frustrating afternoon I decided to have half an hour at the garden centre to spend my Gardening Club vouchers, unfortunately I was waylaid by another member of our group with news to report and it was well over half an hour before I managed to get to the garden centre. I whizzed round to pick up some suet for the birds but had no time to look at all the lovely and exciting decorations,chocolates and gifts so with a sigh I made my way to the check out and then headed for home.

The sunset this evening was spectacular and I would not have missed it for the world but by the time I arrived home it was time to prepare dinner, the house work would have to wait.
I put two salmon teak in a foil parcel with mange tout, broccoli and baby sweet corn, squeezed over the juice of an orange and added a little orange zest, salt, pepper and some fresh fennel and the cooked it in a hot oven for fifteen minutes. I serve this with boiled potatoes and parsley butter and very nice it was. By the time the dishes were done and the kitchen was tidied it was six forty five.
I hope to give my room a good dusting before I turn in for the night and I shall clean the bathroom tomorrow before I take Pa his morning coffee, I must finish this by tomorrow a I have some serious baking to do on Saturday and several more packages to get to the post.

On the bright side my son will be home on Sunday for which event I shall kill the fatted calf.
A special Christmas gift which Pa and ordered for him arrived today and very splendid it is. I wish I could tell you about it but although my son says he does not read my blog I prefer not to take a chance on spoiling the surprise.

I hope to get at least a little sleep tonight but should I not there is always the bathroom to clean............what a wild life I lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment