Friday 25 November 2011

A DOING DAY





I was awake in time to make my son a cup of coffee this morning, a very small thank you for all the delicious hot drinks which he has delivered to my bed side these past days, the look on his face was good to see and I believe that he was more pleased about the fact that I felt well enough to get up and make the drink than he was for the drink itself.

After such a promising start I decided to test my strength a little and after a lovely breakfast made by my son I decided to bake some granary loaves, our favourite sort and perfect for today as we were to have a meal of cooked meats and cheeses for dinner tonight. I was obliged to do the kneading sitting down but other than that all went well and the loaves turned out perfectly.

While my son popped in to town Pa fed our garden friends and I tidied the kitchen a little and when my son returned we all had coffee together. You will I am certain recall my frequent literary outbursts upon the subject of delivery men and other such pests. Today the problem was solved when the boys clubbed together to buy a wireless intercom for the front door with two hand sets so that I shall never be far from a receiver. This will mean that I no longer have to worry about delivery men hammering on the door and waking my son during his week on nights. Now I shall be able to tell the blighter’s to wait quietly while I limp sedately down the stairs and in the case of door step sellers and other such horrors I need not go to the door at all but shall be able to deliver their dissmissalfrom a distance!

The new bedroom rug I ordered the day I left hospital has arrived, my old one has seen better days and being pale cream was beginning to look very tatty indeed. The new one is washable which on the face of it seems practical and the old one will be found a new home under the kitchen table to keep our feet warm during the winter months. The kitchen has a tiled floor which is great for keeping drinks cool in the summer but chilly on the old tootsies at meal times and during the protracted board games to which we and our friends are addicted. I imagine that by the end of winter it will be ready to recycle to the garden shed as insulation.
For some reason my son keeps on attempting to persuade me to keep the old rug in my room, I suspect he dislikes the new one,it is rather unusual ?

The Friday afternoon chores went with their customary swing and the amount of cursing, swearing and general moaning and muttering was up to the usual average. Once finish however and with the house clean and tidy we all agreed that it was worth the effort..............almost!

Tomorrow my son is having a well deserved break, he and some friends are attending the annual Dragon Meet at Olympia, the high spot of the year to aficionados of “The Sport”.It is a place to meet like minded individuals, and there are more of them than you might suppose, there are seminars ,stalls and auctions where,I am told large sums change hands and rare artefacts and Grimoire are traded. As the editor of a popular magazine my son is quite well known amongst devotees of the genre and is rapidly acquiring quite a following within the OD&D coterie. He is quite a celebrity these days, he even receives fan mail!

We were so happy during dinner, happy in each others company and very happy that things are returning to normal., the boys have had a rotten time while I have been ill and have been very good to me. Our Friday feast is always a merry meal and as there is no cooking involved I can relax and enjoy the fun. Tonight there was cold beef from yesterday, cold chicken , cold ham, a pork pie, pate' and toast and some fresh crayfish for me. There was Stilton cheese. Channel island Brie and Ossau Irate, my favourite cheese , crackers and of course fresh bread. All of this was accompanied by a large salad. Coleslaw, pickled onions, pickled walnuts, home made chutney and elderberry jelly. It occurs to me that I sound just like Mole in Wind In he Willows as he unpacks Ratty's picnic hamper.

The left overs from this feast will make suppers,lunches, and snacks for a few days and any remaining cheese usually ends up in an omelette or in a soufflé'. Well stuffed the boys kindly washed the dishes while I took I bath and as soon as I have posted this epistle I shall snuggle up in bed and wait for sleep to find me.

Tomorrow I have a date with an empty cookie tin and some very special people to bake for, they know who they are. Good night every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment