Tuesday 8 November 2011

HUNTIN, SHOOTIN AND COOKIN !




Pa refused to get up this morning and I was obliged to read the riot act which eventually did the trick. Having got up myself at seven thirty I was understandably annoyed to be cooking Pa's breakfast and eleven and boy did I let him know it. I am desperately trying to catch up on the tasks left undone during that past few weeks and Pa's nonsense severely shortens my working day.

The bread was made and out of the oven cooling by the time the old boy was seated at the table to eat his pancakes before heading off for another hospital appointment and as he left on the buggy a glow of gratitude flooded my soul and I prepared to enjoy a couple of hours peace and quiet.

I had decide to make a batch of oatcakes today and have some with bacon fend eggs fr dinner, I actually made four dozen and was able to freeze some for two more meals . We like these oaty pancakes grilled with cheese for breakfast and I know that my son will be pleased that I made a big batch. This morning I was given a jar of honey from a friend with who keeps bees so while I was making the oatcakes I ate a couple smothered in the honey, a great treat for me.

I have noticed these past days that the rat population is once again on the increase, I put out the lights in the kitchen, loaded up my air rifle and set about thinning them out a little.
I know this sound dreadful but you see I refuse to use poison as some years ago one of our cats died through the accumulative effect of eating poisoned mice. We have kestrels , foxes and all ,manner of carrion eaters such as Jays here about and I cannot tolerate the thought that I might be harming them.

I find that If I shoot a few of the rats every couple of weeks they tend to stay away for a while. Today I shot five of the little blighter’s. Actually one of them was a massive great grandfather rat. The bodies do not lie about for long, they are taken almost at once by jays and magpies who recognising the sound of the gun have learned that when ever they hear that sound there is likely to be a good meal in store. I am a very good shot as indeed we all are, being a country girl I grew up with guns and was trained by my father who was a fine marksman. The rats do not suffer and I am sure that a quick clean kill is more humane that the slow death caused by poison.

Pa returned from hospital as I was clearing the kitchen and I strolled in to the garden with Twiggy to get a little fresh air, griddling four dozen oatcakes is a smoke business. Twiggy posed for me in her tree house and in spite of the dullness of the day I took some good shots of the garden. Much refreshed I set about tiding my sons room and stripping the bed ready for his return, He called this morning having slept and breakfasted well and was about to take the bus to Bakewell, a truly lovely little market town with a beautiful old bridge of the river and more ducks that I have ever seen in one place in ,y life. He is having a wonderful time and is being spoiled by his hostesses.

Darkness came early, indeed it never got properly light today, My little cat took up station in my windowsill as usual where she will remain until I climb in to bed which will I hope be soon.
Tomorrow I must do a little shopping and bake another fruit cake but for now a hot bath, a cup of hot chocolate and a warm bed await me.............paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment