Wednesday 26 September 2012

AN INSPECTOR CALLS



Today the second of the estates inspectors called,this on to look at the state of our asbestos covered sheds. With the appointment made for eleven this morning it will not surprise you to learn that we all slept late,I awoke at nine fifteen,panicked, made coffee and roused the troops.

All was hustle and bustle for the ensuing half hour but at last we sat down to a breakfast of hot buttered crumpets and muffins with strawberry jam,as we finished this repast my son shouted”goons on the block” they had arrived!

The (expert) was accompanied by the facilities manager and a more facile individual it would be difficult to imagine. To be fair the chap seemed to know what he was talking about, but talk is about all he did. He had a quick peep in side the only accessible shed,then stood on a short ladder to look at the roof. The combination of the short ladder and the short inspector meant that he could actually see very little.

I confess myself unimpressed at this point,then he asked about the rats and before the facilities mis-manager could begin his customary speech I informed the inspector that the problem was entirely due to the estates refusal to treat them,or indeed to admit that we had them at all.

He proceeded to deliver a lecture on Viles disease and long before he had finished the facilities manager was promising thorough treatment,and cursing the rat man for not dealing with the problem.

I knew and he knew that I knew,that it was he who told the rat man not to treat our rats as a part of the effort to make us leave …..see October and November last year. I chose to be kind ..I must be getting soft in my old age....and then to make sure we got a real inspection I asked the inspector the take a look at the fireplace, and his ears went up like a bird dog's.

Samples would have to be taken,the fireplace might have to be removed,good,and good again! I have wanted to open up the fireplace for ages,the knowledge that there was asbestos behind it has prevented this,in any case it will be good to know that all is well...or not as the case may be.

Afterwards we all went about our daily chores, I put a steamed suet pudding filled with diced game and chicken on the hob to boil all thorough the afternoon. Next I popped out to buy a special feeder for our robins and on my return made a batch of very naughty cup cakes.

I have taken a long time to jump on the cupcake band wagon but today I found a recipe which intrigued me so much I decided to have a go and the result was a large batch of very large ,very naughty pink vanilla cup cakes. I hereby take back anything derogatory which I may have said about the cup cake craze,the looks on the boys faces was enough to ensure that I shall be baking them again and soon.

Tonight I hope to get a little sleep and tomorrow we are all hoping for a long lazy lie in and coffee in bed while watching Judge Judy. Woe betide any one who disturbs this blissful dream!!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment