Wednesday 19 September 2012

POOR OLD SCRUBBER !





I am of course referring to myself,having spent almost the whole day grubbing about in those odd places which no one else ever tidies and where everyone dumps their junk ad hoc!


There is,in my kitchen, as I suspect there is in everybody's kitchen what I call a dead corner,a space which cannot be used,a sort of glory hole into which such things as shopping bags,not the plastic sort but the “bags for life” variety which everyone buys at the supermarket and then forgets they have. Whenever the boys go shopping I can almost guarantee that they will depart bag-less and return with yet another of these(useful) articles.

These together with a fishing net(used to capture birds which occasionally stray into the house), a bag of picnic ware, are all that should be housed in this space. Even if this were the case which it certainly is not ,the bags are never put away properly but are instead tossed devil may care in to the corner and the pile grows higher and higher until at last I can stand it no longer and wade in to sort it out. Today was one of those days!

Bag after bag ,Hessian x 12, strong plastic covered in lady birds,large 4, small 6,wine carriers3?

Large Hessian Waitrose bags 7, strong plastic bags covered in vegetables 6,sundry other bag for life types 12, Oxfam cotton bags 9,bog standard plastic shopping bags 23; all these bags and not a single one stored inside another for neatness sake.

The pile topped the hight of an adjacent chest freezer and beneath these bags heavy articles had sifted to the floor level. A pair of boots, a box of washing powder, and egg cup missing for ages, several magazines (non of them mine I hasten to add) parts of an old vacuum cleaner which I had told Pa to throw away months ago, an old iron ditto, a box of straws, a large bottle of cola, a bag of jam jars,a crevice tool (don't ask)also, I am sorry to say, the remains of one of Twiggy's captives beautifully mummified, and about fifty assorted spiders!

I would seem that when ever I have asked one of the boys to either throw something away or pop it in to the shed they have instead been hoarding these items.

Trawling through this mess did little for my temperament and I was in a fine fury by the time I discovered my bread trough missing for some time.

Fortunately for them neither was around while this was happening and so I cussed the empty kitchen swearing a vengeance on the untidy perishers!

By the time I had finished the afternoon had worn away and it was time to cook dinner,the kitchen looked pristine............then Pa returned from a prolonged(they always are ) shopping trip,tipped the contents of two NEW bags on to the kitchen table and tossed them without a glance in the general direction of the newly tidied corned.

Well of course I went off like a firework on a feast day, stormed out of the kitchen ,muttering oaths and curses and Pa, totally baffled stood staring around the kitchen trying to work out what had caused the eruption.

Tonight the boys ate sausage eggs and chips for dinner as I was in no mood to do more, my temper has cooled and all is well...................until the next time some untidy urchin decides to dump a load of junk in the corner of the kitchen,should they do so heads will roll!!!!!!

Shortly before dinner my ex-neighbour arrived having seen the rather large bread trough drying out on the garden seat,he ask me anxiously if I meant to throw it away and if so could he have it.

For some time I have been unable to use the trough as it it very ,very large and is now too heavy for me to move about, I had been thinking of drilling hole in it and planting it up with cyclamen,sacrilege really so I was glad to find a good home for this antiquated treasure. A little later he appeared at the door carrying the most beautiful bread trough I have ever seen,made of oak and very old,just under half the size of my old one and perfect for me ,I was close to tears,then he told me that he had purchased it in Glastonbury,afterwards I did shed a few happy tears.

I had meant to give him the trough,I had not expected something so wonderful in return.

So my bad day ended wonderfully,I have missed using my old trough as bread making is a messy business without one.....providence as been kind to me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment