Saturday 8 September 2012

LAZY AVIE





Last night was diabolical! The pain in my knee kept me awake for hours and I could not find a comfortable position in bed in spite of a feather bed and memory foam topper. When at last I did fall asleep it was without the mosquito net properly closed,all the windows were wide open and the inevitable happened...I awoke looking like" Spotty Muldoon" and as itchy as could be.


Disinclined to get up I lazed about watching Upstairs Downstairs while downstairs Pa was getting restive,for me to still be in bed at eleven in the morning is an unusual event. I had intended to do some garden in today but it was obvious that I would be unable to do so and I think it was this which demoralised me.

Poor old Pa, when finally I appeared in the kitchen he had been busy getting things ready for breakfast so smitten by a bad conscience I made his favourite Piklets with raisins and syrup. We wee about finished when our secretary arrived with a large pile of leaflets for me to tout around the village in order to drum up support for a newly formed conservation group in our area...I felt better at once.

Here was something useful I could do with the day, I cleared the kitchen and set off on the scooter to do the rounds of the village. I had spent some time yesterday putting up posters and pushing leaflets thought letterboxes ,today was more of the same. Even though I have lived in the village for twenty years I saw bits of it today which I had never seen before.

I lost count of hoe many leaflets I posted but by three in the afternoon the heat and the pain in my knee drove me back home for a cup of tea and a rest before dinner. Getting on and off the scooter had been much more taxing than I had imagined but I felt that I had achieved something.

It was at this point that Pa noticed that our secretary had made a spelling mistake on the posters,I was mortified because of course people would think that the mistake was mine,still it was funny I suppose. My son said that we had better make sure that the agenda for the meeting was spell checked otherwise,he said “we could end up being called the fiends of Silverhall Park rather that the friends thereof! No comment!

I made lasagne for dinner with garlic bread and salad,quick and tasty and it was while I was preparing this meal that my old neighbour arrived with a large bag of hedgehog food and a box containing a dozen tins of the same. I was delighted at first as a friend had informed me just this morning that she had found an injured hedgehog and was caring for it while it recovers.

I was not pleased for long,I decided to check the sell by dates on the food before gleefully telephoning my friend and behold it was a blessing I did for the entire stock had a sell by date of 2008! I do wish people would dump there own rubbish rather than getting us to do t for them,there is no way that we could feed this rubbish to a sick hedgehog. I feel like taking it back to the giver and telling him it is no good,I want to ,but I shan’t, good manners prevents this mind relieving exercise..........what a pain..............I hate civility, it make liars of us all.

Now as I write Jenny Wren is tut tut tutting loudly I the orchard and the robin and blackbird too are giving their alarm calls , the air is still and the heat is already giving way to a delicious freshness. This morning the river mist swirled about in ghostly fashion as the air was much cooler than the water.

The reason for the wrens alarm appears to be the cat Diamonds, an occasional visitor who Twiggy tolerates.......sometimes..............whoops,not tonight though!

No comments:

Post a Comment