Sunday 27 January 2013

COCONUT MERINGUE TRAY BAKE







 Hoorah for lazy Sundays! I am in danger of being spoiled,yet another real Sunday,complete with long lie in,lazy afternoon and a proper roast dinner,instead of either a hurried meal because my son has to work,or a hurried late dinner because the kitchen is full of Dungeoneers!

I decided to roast a guinea fowl for today,complete with sausages wrapped in bacon,roast potatoes,apple sauce and a selection of vegetables. I also made a tray baked cake for afters which used up lots of bits and pieces from the store cupboard.

COCONUT MERINGUE TRAY BAKE
1pk ready rolled short crust pastry
4 tablespoons of strawberry jam
4 egg whites
8 oz caster sugar
4 oz desiccated coconut
2 oz chopped hazel nuts
2 oz glacé cherries chopped
1 oz crystallised angelica chopped


Heat oven to 175C. Grease a Swiss roll tin and line with the pastry and bake blind for about ten minutes,remove from the oven and and spread the jam evenly over .
Beat the egg whites until stiff the gradually beat in the caster sugar. Next fold in all the other ingredients and spread over the layer of jam.
Bake in the pre heated oven for between twenty-five and thirty minutes.
Leave to cool in the tray ,slice when cold.
This tray bake will slice in to 8 large of 16 small slices.

My two cats are at daggers drawn again,I think the pheromone diffuser must be empty! Luckily we managed to contain the dust up by separating the combatants and then delivering a long lecture upon the need to share when one lives in a small house.
Twiggy went off to sulk in my sons room and Moth retired to her basket and slept ,I will not have any more of this nonsense,I do not care what Twiggy thinks I am the Alpha female in this establishment and my word is LAW!

Top Gear tonight, I do hope that this series is better than the ;last one which was,by and large mediocre,we shall see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment