Friday 25 January 2013

INTERNATIONAL NOSH





So far this week we have eaten food of Italian. English and Lebanese origin, tonight I prepared and Irish dish,Colchannon, which we ate with sausages,apple giant sized potato cake with a good hand
Colchannon is easy to make,it is a sort of giant potato cake with a handful of cabbage thrown in.
Of course I could have made Champ,another Irish potato dish,this time with scallions,(spring onions) added. The Irish certainly know a thing or two about potatoes.

Tomorrow a home made pizza of massive proportions is on the menu,a treat for my son and a damn site less expensive than ordering from Pizza Hut, where if you want a decent amount of topping you have to pay, I think it's a pound for each one. Having paid the extra you get a tiny portion of mushroom or a smidgeon of ham, you need at lest three extra toppings to prevent the meal from being nothing but dough.

My son assures me that it is different in the Pizza Hut resterilise and I am willing to believe him,the take away pizzas are a rip off.

Sunday,and for once my son is at home I shall roast a guinea fowl with roast potatoes and all the trimmings...lovely. I have in mind another Middle Eastern dish for Monday Slow cooked lamb with a side dish of foul medames,it sounds awful but in reality it is a lovely dish made with Fava beans,lemon juice cumin,and parsley amongst other things, have made this dish for vegetarian friends and they love it. The recipe goes back to the time of the Pharaohs and is becoming increasingly popular in the west,and with good reason.

I love English Regional food, and having lived in many parts of the country I have picked the brains of many a chef along the way. It is nice however to be able to ring the changes now and then or things can become tedious.

I have never tried to cook food from the Southern states of America although it sounds delicious,perhaps I shall one day bump into a chef from New Orleans, who knows?



WebRep
Overall rating
This site has no rating
(not enough votes)

No comments:

Post a Comment