Tuesday 15 January 2013

FACE ACHE







Often used to describe a gloomy individual am grieved to say that at the moment it accurately describes my poor son,who is usually a very cheery sort. Towards the end of last week he began
to complain of pain in his jaw,which worsened as the week progressed.

Today it s become much worse and he has been obliged to resort to taking some of my heavy duty pain killers in order to make it bearable. Needless to say he has an appointment with his GP....but not until Friday. In the mean time its warm drinks, soft food and regular doses of the sort of pain relief tablets that could knock out a horse.

I am used to these as I have to take them frequently,my son is not , the side effects are rather drastic in so far as they cause him to go to sleep, at the very best they induce extreme drowsiness and dizzy spells, all of which makes it impossible to function normally. Even I try not to use them during the day as I find it impossible to concentrate when I do.
How bitterly cold it was today and yet without the awful everlasting dampness we have suffered of late I found it rather refreshing when I popped out to buy cat food. On my way home dusk was settling in and the sun was setting, behind the dark fuzziness of the trees in the shelter belt. A frost was beginning to settle on the grass, and for a while fire fought with ice;then  the sun sank behind the trees,paling as it died,the frost won.

Suddenly it felt much colder and I headed for home, and for he rabbit and bacon pudding which had been steaming on the stove since late morning. The soft suet shell with lots of gravy and some mashed carrots was perfect for my son,Pa and I feasted on lovely chunks of the tender wild rabbit and bacon rolls which filled the pudding. I think it is the best way to eat rabbit,especially on a cold winter day.

Now it is dark outside,the days work is done and we are all feeling sleepy after our meal, soon I shall take my shower before making a hot drink for us all. Both of the cats are in doors,twiggy with me,Moth curled up in a basket in the warm kitchen and I am thankful that neither of them has chosen to be out tonight.

In the dark orchard the foxes are courting,their yelps and howls punctuate our sleep at night,I like it,most of the time. For the past couple of nights a Little Owl has called from the ash tree outside my bedroom window,I cannot see him but I know he is there, woe betide the wood mouse who ventures forth tonight.

I have prattled on quiet long enough, now for a nice hot shower. Sleep well world,and keep warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment