Monday 7 January 2013

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING






Unusually for a Monday I did not have to make bread,this fact changed the complexion of the whole day for all of us,it happened thus.

I woke rather early this morning to discover that my son too was awake,this boded ill for tonight he returns to slave in the galleys after a week off. I suggested that we return to our beds for an hour or so and try to sleep,a forlorn hope but worth a try.
My reward was the sound of my son snoring loudly a few minutes later . Contented I snuggled down under the covers and did a little channel hopping and again I was rewarded,this time with a double bill of Fred Astaire films.
I may not have mentioned my abiding affection for these old movies and for Fred Astaire in particular,he was wonderful...actually he was much more than that. It did not matter at all who he danced with because all you looked at was his flying feet and the supreme artistry of every beautifully choreographed move.

These days of course such dancing is no longer fashionable but to me it will always be Hollywood in the Thirties and Forties at its best.
My mother tells a story of an Aunt asking me what I wanted to do when I grew up, at the ripe old age of four I announced that I was going to dance with Fred Astaire...well I danced, everything from a Galliard to Bump and Grind but alas never with my hero.
This morning with unusual self indulgence I sat spell bound and every bit a awestruck as the tiny child all those years ago.

My son did not awake again until twelve Pa was up and dressed by the time I got down stairs breakfast was leisurely and fun and the remainder of the day has been relaxed and happy.

Note to self: Laze about in bed watching movies more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment