Friday 11 January 2013

THE STONE STRIKES AGAIN






I may have mentioned in the past that I have long suffered from the same condition as my hero and fellow diarist Samuel Pepys, “the stone”. He was so relieved to be rid of his that every year afterwards he gave a party in celebration of his deliverance..I can quite understand why.

My own sufferings began over ten years ago,and went undiagnosed for four years,during which time I suffered the torments of Hades, lost over half of my body weight and suffered severe kidney damage due to a succession of infections the last of which almost killed me.

There followed a course of prolonged and painful treatment (Lythotripsy) during which one lies on a sort of bed part of which is underwater and spend the next thirty -forty minutes having sound waves fired through your kidneys to crack the stones...this is very painful indeed and only made bearable by the knowledge that the pain caused by the stones in much much worse
The treatment shattered the multiple stones which infested both kidneys,unfortunately small shards, to small to zap remained,even more unfortunately they did not flush through the system as we had hoped. During the intervening years these tiny shards have grown in stature and are now giving me “what for!”


When the pain strikes there is nothing I can do but lie still and pray that the stone will either pass through or at least dislodge itself from is present uncomfortable position. When the pain becomes unbearable an even large doses of codeine cannot help I have to go to A and E for pain relief and a merry old performance that can be.
Why is it that nurses refuse to believe that there is anything wrong with you,it is almost as if they think that you have rocked up at hospital for the pleasure of being in their company!
Last time it took hours for the staff to realise the trouble I was in, by which time I needed hospitalisation instead of a simple dose of Morphine. The acute pain had caused my already high blood pressure to soar to a dangerous level. One of the nurses asked why I had not mentioned it.......I had, numerous time and was told,and I quote. “ Let us be the judge of weather your blood pressure is high or not.”


At the moment with my son on his night shift it is difficult for me to go to hospital,Pa needs so much attention and the idea of leaving him alone,worried and confused just adds to my own worries.
At the moment, full of codeine I am feeling rather fuzzy,the pain is bearable at the moment and so I hope it will remain.
I managed to bake a batch of hazelnut shortbread and cooked a prawn and crab pasta for dinner so I must be on the mend.
One thing about the past few days which has been pleasant,my new furry hot water bottle and I have become well acquainted and I must say I am very fond of its comforting warmth...so is my cat!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment