Wednesday 16 January 2013

FROST





I love the clear crisp cold a frosty morning brings,tiny sunbeams sparkling on frosted grass and cobwebs swagged like silver threads along the railings and in the hedge row. As I drank my morning coffee, my tame wood pigeon sat outside the window,his feathers reflecting the pearly pinks and blues of the winter sky;it was a lovely start to the day.

My son,still in considerable pain had been restless all night and as a consequence so had I,we were both a little rusty as we sat watching Judge Judy,a show to which we have recently become addicted. I made porridge for breakfast,perfect in such chilly weather and for my poor boys aching jaw.

With breakfast over I had planed to tackle the bathroom,there followed a series of distractions of the usual kind and by the time everyone had left there was barley time to make a batch of butterfly cakes and to prepare the fish cakes for dinner. With a little help from Pa I managed to get things ready and at seven,a little later than usual we sat down to a dinner of fish cakes with sugar snap peas,chips and a dill cream sauce.

Crispy and brown on the outside and creamy with soft potato and moist fish in the middle the boys loved them and scoffed the lot with relish. We hardly had room for the butterfly cakes ,still somehow we managed to eat six between us!

As darkness fell the frost increased its grip upon the garden,my robins feasted on meal worms and suet, this daily largess is amply rewarded by the performance put on by these feisty little birds. I love the feel of their tiny feet when the come to take the food from my hands, the cock bird is more self assured than the hen,although she too will occasionally take a live worm from my fingers.

In doors the bitter cold strikes chill from every pane of glass and we drew the curtains early to retain the warmth,only my bedroom window remains uncurtained so that my little cat can watch the foxes in the orchard,once she has settled down for the night the curtain will finally be closed.

I am looking forward to snuggling down in my comfy bed,hopefully to sleep but if not it is lovely to be warm and cosy and safe when outside the weather is wintry. Almost worth staying awake for? Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment