Wednesday 14 March 2012

AVIE RAMPANT


Never before have I published two blogs in a single day, the first was a broadside against the parasitic poltroons who have been using my blog on their web site for the purposes of advertising. They tell me that it will take several days to remove it and so as long as they continue to publish my blog on their poxy site the will have to carry my unpleasant but I believe justified remarks about the way they do business. May a red plague smite them all!

Back to today, to be frank nothing of any import has occurred. Breakfast was cooked by my son, and the usual chores carried out With every bone and muscle in my body protesting I decided to give gardening a miss today,a shame on such a lovely day but I did have the pleasure of enjoying the fresh air without the back ache for once.

Sitting quietly in the orchard I was able to observe that activities of our garden birds,a wonderful pass time and an instructive one. Within the space of an hour I knew the where abouts of several nests and watched the building of several more,it is so exciting to watch the birds collecting bits and pieces and they all use different materials.

Behind the old orchard wall in there grows a cedar tree of some age and great beauty,in this tree the long tailed tits have chosen nesting sites, they are gregarious little mortals and fly around in quite large flocks. Cobwebs are a favourite nesting and the use its stickiness to bind together soft dry moss to make a ball shaped nest which is a slight as a feather and secured to the tree with yet more cobwebs and is very strong in consequence.

Throughout the afternoon these pretty birds collected old cobwebs from inside my shed and from under the tangle of ivy on the orchard wall,this wall house a number of nest boxes and several teapots which are popular with some birds as nest sites.

Under the damson tree a carpet of primroses has opened during these last few days and early bees are taking full advantage of this rich source of pollen,my new bee house has not yet attracted ant homeless queen but I hope that it soon will.

Tawny owls also nest close by and I have recently found several owl pellets under the apple tree, in the evening during the summer I often see these owls sweep across the garden as they search for food. During the day the mice in this vicinity are the prey not only of our cat Twiggy but a pair of Kestrels who's nest I can see from my bedroom window.. Kestrels also take small birds and last year they made considerable inroads in to the number of successfully fledged starlings.

Twiggy has just decided to sit on my desk, what she really wants is for me to stop writing and to give her a cuddle, she has enjoyed being out of doors with me this afternoon and has come indoors to find me. On the catnip plants I put in last year will begin to show and them we shall have some fun. Fresh catnip is much more agreeable to madam that the dried sort and she really can get quite silly on the stuff. Having tried it I cannot say that I found it a t all stimulating so it is obviously a cat thing.

Help ! She has decided to sit on the keyboard, time to go, and remember eschew the “Blogger Index site” it sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment