Saturday 24 March 2012

PLANS FOR THE ORCHARD


My plans to grow more fruit and less vegetables is well under way and my new strawberry bed is now planted up and ready for a good harvest,if the weather permits. Salads will still feature and of course kale, squashes, leeks and an array of such easy growers as radish beetroot chard and spinach, all of which can be sown direct and require no pricking out or potting on.

Located on the wall side of the orchard is a large empty bed and it is my intention to plant such things as quince, green gage, egg plum and pear in the autumn and under sow with wild flowers, thus returning that part of the orchard to its original state. Who knows I may even plant a peach tree against the old wall.

Pottering about in the sun planting salad burnet and a few tears came then and I cried for quite a while , I think from shear relief. Gardening is all about planning and to be unable to plan makes a gardeners life impossible. Through out the winter I have been concerned my worsening condition would affect the garden but now with my new plans I am sure that all will be well. When ever any one comes to the garden for the first time they usually say”It;s Magical.” or “It;s like a dream.” . Today with the suns increasing warmth, the busy hum of numerous insects and the wonderful bird song I had to agree, there is something very special about the place. Perhaps it is because it has always been a garden of some kind or perhaps it is the ghosts of centuries of benign gardeners who poured their love in to the place.

Calm and peaceful always and rich in wild life it is a small piece of heaven and I love it with my whole heart.

Having done rather more gardening than I intended There was no Tim,e to make the cottage pie I had planned for dinner so Pa bless him treated us to a fish and chip supper which we all enjoyed, the perfect dinner really for a perfect day and foxy enjoyed his raw mince so every one was happy .

Now the light is fading and some where close by someone is burning apple logs and the sweet smokiness is drifting through my open window like the finest incense,the bees have left the garden to the moths and in the lane bats; the first I have seen this year are hunting them. Soon the owls will come to hunt the bats and the foxes will begin their nightly forage. Perhaps if I am lucky I might see a hedgehog later, some thing to look forward to if sleep evades me.

Thank the Gods for this happy day,and for setting me down in this lovely place.

No comments:

Post a Comment