Saturday 3 March 2012

HAZELNUT AND APRICOT COOKIES,AMONG OTHER THINGS,


Dawn came all too soon and we dragged ourselves from blissful sleep for an early breakfast as the computer repair man was arriving at ten. Poached eggs on toast were eaten amid stifled yawns but at least we were ready when he arrived right on time.

Since he had not eaten we made him some breakfast as he explained what he had done to the machine,new hard drive etc. Putting the computer through its paces it was soon evident hat he had totally upgraded it so that it was better than new,we were delighted and the chap left loaded up with jam, fresh bread and damson gin as well as the payment he asked which was very fair indeed.

With Pa at the shops and my son out gaming I had the kitchen to myself and set to with a will as there was much to do. Two trays of Bakewell slice were first on the list one for us and one for my sons work mates next Monday. While this was baking I played about with the newly furbished computer and discovered even more amazing new additions.

Next came two lemon drizzle cakes, there is to be a birthday party here tomorrow for a friend of my sons and this cake was the birthday boy's request. Never quite sure how many to expect I made a pair, should there be any left over the boys next door will help me out I am sure. Still new to the food mixer I was concerned about these cakes but all went well and they came out of the oven perfect.

Biscuits were next and I tried a new recipe, hazel nut and apricot cookies, some of which are destined for my sons work mates, the rest for the cookie jar, I made four dozen. On the last lap my next task was Pa's special roasted nuts, he needs to have high protein snacks and these fit the bill perfectly. Just about every kind of nut there is went in to today’s mix and I seasoned with a little salt ,some paprika ans come ground coriander.....lovely.

Apricot and hazel nut cookies
5oz dire ready to eat apricots
3 oz hazel nut pieces
five and a half oz self raising flour
1 egg
half teaspoon vanilla extract
4 oz softened butter
five and a half oz soft brown sugar.

1,line two or three baking sheets with greased proof parer and pre heat the oven to 180oC.

2. Roughly chop the apricots and hazelnuts. Sift the flour in to a bowl and lightly mix the egg in a cup with the vanilla extract.
Mix the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg a little at a time and then half the flour, mix well and then add the rest of the flour, the nuts and apricots.
4. Put teaspoonfuls onto the baking tray . The cookies will spread so leave enough room.

5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until light golden brown, remove when cooked and leave on the tray to cool for a few minutes before placing on a wire cooling rack to finish.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we have, I think that they might be even nicer with chopped dates instead of the apricots.

After all that baking I made a fast dinner of gammon steaks with eggs jacket wedges and sweet corn on the cob. What a day. I intend to do absolutely nothing more today I am played out but when I look around the kitchen it all seems worth while . Party day tomorrow....hey ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment