Sunday 11 March 2012


Sunshine and fine spring air greeted my as I opened my window this morning, the garden looked a little forlorn with the dead stalks of last years plants amongst the new growth. My heart heard the call and as soon as breakfast was over out I went ready at last to do battle with the ravages of winter.

Surprised and concerned at how fast I became tired and with so little done I sat disconsolate for a few minutes wondering how I should ever manage,then I remembered some thing and hurried to the shed. First I took off my heavy gardening boots which made my legs feel tired just picking up my feet,then I rooted out a strange old fashioned gardening tool give to me many years ago and which I have never used.

Positioned at the end of a long handle a queer sort of fork with small sharp bent tines would I had been told make light work of weeding,I tried it out;it worked scarifying the ground and dislodging .cutting and grubbing up the weeds by their root. God bless dear old Dorothy who gave this wonderful of gadget to me when she gave us gardening at the age of ninety two.
I have inherited many tools from retired gardeners over the years and can honestly say that without them I should have had to give up some time ago.

Using the trolley bucket I managed to apply five bags of bark chip over the cleared ground , the effect was good and although I know that me weeding was not as thorough as I should like the thick layer of bark will inhibit their growth while allowing the plants to flourish. Should there be a hosepipe ban this summer the bark mulch will help pt retain what little moisture there is, my days of hauling a full two gallon watering can in each hand are gone for ever I fear.

Although I worked slowly a satisfactory amount of work was done and pleased with the result of my work I put away my tools and went indoors to prepare our evening meal.
Home made beef burgers served on soft buns with f=caramelised onions and a salad of pea shoots, sorrel and white mustard greens, it is amazing that already the garden can produce such a salad after the recent frost.

While we ate we made our plans for next week, mine of course involve more gardening if the weather permits,I know well that I shall ache all over in the morning, this is always the way after a winter spent largely indoors but with luck the aches and pains will lessen ans I become used to the work once more.

Twiggy was beside herself with delight at having me back in the garden again, she is and always will be a gardeners cat and company out of doors is her idea of a good time. Squeaks ans scuffles led my into the orchard to investigate and there I found that Twiggy was engaged in battle royal with a small rat inside one of my cloches, very much the the cabbages it sheltered. Before I could do anything there was an almighty screech as the rat gave yo the ghost and Twiggy ran off with her prize to the safety of her tree house ,what happened next is best not discussed.

My hopes for the garden this years are high in spite of my increasing infirmity, thankfully the ground has been well maintained and to be frank I never mind a few weeds, as a matter of fact I deliberately planted five so called weeds today.

Perhaps this year the gardens may not be so well kept but their owner will, hope be able to spend a little more time just sitting under the shady trees and enjoying it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment