Tuesday 13 March 2012

THE SIEGE SEASON HAS BEGUN


Winter has been a welcome respite from the endless battles with local authorities and the estate on which we live. Thankfully it appears the those members of the estate staff who made our lives a misery last year have been suitably squashed at our last battle which I a great weight off my mind.

Mindful however of the help we received from friends and neighbours I have taken up the cudgels again on behalf of a nearby park which is currently receiving far too much attention of the wrong sort from the local authorities contractors;and as our fight to save our orchard and kitchen garden has resulted in my having many useful contacts, it seems sensible that I write the letters.

Members of the London Assembly have in the past been very helpful and it is to these members that have applied for assistance as our local council seems powerless to help,it is therefore kick up the backside time as the only time they move is with a large boots firmly applied to that anatomical location! Some how we must cure their reluctance to control the doings of their contractors before every scrap on ivy in the borough and every old tree has been removed.

If anyone out there has any suggestions I would receive them gladly.

Much rested after a good nights sleep we spent a pleasant morning over a lazy breakfast which was broken up all to soon by the arrival of our fortnightly grocery delivery which had to be stored away, the three of us made short work of the task and then my son to his writing Pa to his bird feeders and I to the garden to spread more mulch.

Lovely sunshine and a light breeze awaited me. Perfect e=weather for the job in hand as one can become very hot dragging bags of bark chip about and I managed to spread another five bags before my hip became too painful. Taking a small garden chair pt sit on I next cleaned the tubs in which I shall plant Pa's sweet peas this year. Every year for as long as I can remember I have grown these lovely scented flowers for him. Two plantings, one now and one in may will keep him in cut flowers for his room all summer long. Tomorrow I shall plant them out and add a fleece cover for a week or two while they acclimatise.

Dinner was easy tonight, Chicken and bacon pie for my son and I which I made today and for Pa who dislikes chicken oxtail stew which I made a few weeks ago for the freezer,I think that oxtail stew is his all time favourite meal so I see to it that he has it as often as possible

Weight loss is a problem for him and I need to ensure that he eats the right sort of food just to maintain his present weight and this can be tricky as he often has little appetite . Tonight he will eat, that I guarantee!

Friday morning will bring the man who is to fit our walk in shower, this will make such a difference to both Pa and myself as I fear that our arthritis can only get worse.
Spring is here and nothing can quell the up rush of spirits as the sun shine strengthens daily and leaves begin to ohs a delicate tracery of green. Last night A blackbird sang in our garden from 2 until 4 am,sometimes insomnia is a blessing, it certainly was last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment