Saturday 17 March 2012

WINTER RETURNS


back came winter with a vengeance and in came the cat soaking wet and in high dudgeon. Poor thing, having just become accustomed to warmth and sunshine she was loath to return to her more sedentary winter pursuits and had insisted upon being let out in to the garden.

Gazing out of my bedroom window just as it became light I resigned myself to a day in doors, at first without much enthusiasm but soon realising how tired I was I snuggled back under the covers for an hour or so, and fell asleep at once.

Weekends for us are often difficult as my son spends both days gaming and we never quite know when he will return, this makes choosing an evening meal rather tricky and explains why we never have a roast on Sunday. Last night for a few glorious moments it looked as if we just might have a normal Saturday. One of the group was unable to attend and another, who's mother had just left hospital thought he too might be unable to come.

Since their games often last for several weeks it is difficult to play with two missing players,for a moment I dared to hope, but it was not to be and I resigned myself to the usual Saturday scrum. My darling son must have picked up on my disappointment as he brought me breakfast in bed this morning and very good it was too. Dear boy, I would not have him cancel his games for all the world but I cannot help feeling that a normal weekend would be nice now and then.

Pa and I ate a light lunch of egg and cress sandwiches with salad sprouts and rocket, afterwards I made some French coffee and set about the baking. Feeling lazy I made some cherry shortcakes and some walnut ones as they are quick to do and while they cooked I polished up a set of antique skewettes which I picked up on e bay recently for a song. There arrival was the culmination of a two year search and although they are not exactly what I wanted they are close enough.

Skewettes of meat where a favourite dish in medieval times and in one of the first ever recipes books,written during the reign of Richard 11 by his chef ,I think,they feature as a favoured banquet dish. Because I enjoy cooking dishes from history and we often have these skewettes is will be nice to have some decorative ones to use at last.

Although the weather has taken a turn for the worse the past few days of warmth have encouraged the growth of quite a number of wild salad plants , sheep sorrel ,ramsons, dandelion and chickweed all of which go into our salad bowl and are eaten with the meat skewettes just as they would have been centuries ago. Soon there will be hawthorn leaves to add to the bowl as well as wild mustard, if you know where to look there is always something to eat.

Tonight I cooked bacon chops on the griddle with fresh baked jacket wedges and a rich tomato sauce, corn on the cob and grilled haloomi, a strange combination but in it something to please everyone, and as we ate we engaged in a lively debate upon the forthcoming budget
.
Speaking for myself I expect that no good can come of anything proposed by the awful George Osborne and my views on Danny Alexander and Nick Clegg are frankly unprintable.
What ever happens my poor son, being a financial editor will be worked hard next week as will his team of heroes, may a blessing lite upon them all.

Their hard work and dedication often in the face of overwhelming odds and more bullshit that any one should have to encounter , is the only reason my son remains even remotely sane., I salute them and say out right that it would not hurt their employers to acknowledge their enormous contribution to the companies welfare in these troubled times. The hope is a faint one!
Rain is still pattering against the window and the lane is full of puddles which reflect the light from the street lamps , inside all is cosy and snug. Twiggy is fast asleep on my bed and I shall soon be making hot chocolate for all, and then a movie, perhaps Ground Hog Day watched from my comfy bed, with any luck I shall be asleep long before the end credits role................Good night to all, sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment