Friday 9 March 2012

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED...............


After yesterdays catalogue of catastrophes I decided that I had better get back on the horse rather than run the risk of loosing my nerve ,and while I cannot in all conscience claim that the experiment was ans unqualified success I am glad that I had a go.

Friday is always a baking day for me and today bread was the first thing on the agenda, I made an omelette for Pa before I began as he had an appointment at the local hospital. Bread making went well...up to a point, the dough was kneaded,proved and in the oven,no problem so far but just as it first fifteen minutes had elapsed and the temperature needed reducing I received a panicky telephone call from my mother and I forgot all about it.

Only when the timer pinged did I remember and by then it was too late, I took the bread from the oven rather browner than usual and a tad more crusty. Annoying ,yes but still the bread would be OK. After switching of the phone to ensure some peace and quiet I baked two trays of Bakewell slices,these have proved very popular and thankfully the left the oven just as they should be.

Chocolate brownies. Why oh why did I decide that making chocolate brownie would be a good idea? Every thing should have been fine and yet when cooked they did not have the delectable squishiness that one expects from a brownie and were more like a rich chocolate cake. There is nothing wrong with them that a layer of fudge icing will not cure and tomorrow that is exactly what they will get.

In light of these further mishaps I am relieved that tonight the boys are treating me to night off cooking dinner and we at to have fish and chips instead. Who can say what kind of a hash I should make if I attempted to cook dinner in this frame of mind? Tiredness is such a nuisance and coupled with the many interruptions to my normal routine I seem to have become a little scatty!

Twiggy has taken up mousing again and has to be closely watched as she has a tenancy to contribute her kills to the household economy, three since yesterday evening and disposed of privily for fear of causing her offence! Last weeks gift remained at large in my bedroom for several day before madam caught and ate it on the bat mat.

I am glad that the week end is almost here,perhaps things will improve with a new week, I do hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment