Thursday 1 March 2012

PROMISES, PROMISES!


Last December right in the middle of the most hectic Christmas preparations we were visited twice by a nice couple from Social Services who left us with a pile of forms to fill out and the promise that they would return the next week to collect them. Two and a half months have passed and neither hide nor hair of these two have we seen from that day to this.

Being patient souls and understanding that Christmas for people in their line of work usually means at least a fortnights holiday we waited. January ended, we waited, February ended and we decided to give the truants a call, just to make sure that they had not succumbed after a gruelling bout of seasonal festivities!

After giving the distinct impression that he was surprised to hear from us the man we spoke to was most put out that having agreed that he should have seen us in mid December , that we refused to see him almost upon the instant. I was obliged to point out that after keeping us waiting for two months he should not complain about having to wait until next Monday for the long awaited return visit.

When I tell you that this is the forth set of social workers who have visited us over a period of two and a half years, all promising to install a walk in bath and a stair lift, and having made this promise disappeared never to return you will understand why my patience is just a little frayed! Perhaps there is a black hole somewhere between our home and their office which opens up and swallows them when every they pay us a visit, who can say?

Had they kept their word we should have by now had both the shower and the stair lift fitted, had they all kept their word the work could have been carried out four times. Question. Why are we paying these people to stooge around raising the hopes of disabled people like myself and my husband if they are have no intention of carrying out the promised improvements.
Add pt this the fact that we have now filled in the huge pile of forms necessary if one is to receive this favour a total of four times.

When we asked what had happened to the three lots we filled in previously there was, we were told no record of us having filled in any forms what ever...........the black hole strikes again?

Monday was the day arranged for the visit, what will come of it I can not say except to quote the old proverb”Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed!”

Dinner tonight was a roast Guinea fowl with mashed potato, baby carrots,peas and stuffing with apple sauce and gravy. Needing a breath of fresh air after spending the morning cleaning the bathroom and my bedroom I was delighted to discover that we had no cooking apples left, our store of apples ran put shortly before Christmas . This was the only excuse I needed to get out the buggy and head of to the shops.

Warm and sunny as the day had been I had felt caged as I worked my way through the chores and revelled in a little freedom. None of the smaller shops had any bramley,s and I ended my trip in Morrison’s at four thirty which was not good judgement as the queues at the tills were six deep and the voice over the Tannoy sounded increasingly desperate as she called for members of staff to man the tills.

Good often follows bad and I was glad that I had been delayed as one my way home I watched the sun going down in a haze of golden light and the river mist was creeping over the fields and in to the lane as neared home. Birds called to each other in the trees the tops of which have the fuzzy look with tells of thickening buds and spring soon to be.
This week has been wonderful so far,and although we all seem to be more than usually tired this has done nothing to spoil our enjoyment our week off.

Should the weather hold I shall perhaps be able to do a little gardening during the weekend, I do hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment