Friday 30 March 2012

OF MICE AND MEETINGS

.




Friday morning and another gloriously sunny day, unfortunately I was destined to spend a great deal of it trapped indoors but the sounds and smells of a spring morning wafting through my bedroom window early this morning were delightful.

Bread making was first on the list and I made a batch of granary loaves and while they were rising we ate our breakfast of hot buttered crumpets and honey covered muffins. With an ISCAG meeting to attend we had to hurry our meal as before we left I had to clean the bathroom and clear the kitchen. Against all the odds we made it on time and in fact my son and I were the first to arrive.

Our meeting this month was an important one as it was the last meeting before our fĂȘte on the 29th April and their were jobs to delegate and stalls to allocate. My son and several of his gaming friends have offered to help out on the day moving furniture and manning stalls which will be a terrific help,a good barker is worth his weight in gold.

There will be bric-a-brac stalls, plants for sale a raffle, tombola, children,s games and lots of home made goodies which will be made by me. Blueberry muffins, Bakewell slices, shortbread, sausage rolls, quiches and lemon drizzle cakes were agreed upon along with anything else I can manage to make in the time. I rather hope to produce some pasta salads of various sorts and as we have a number of vegetarian visitors to the fete they will of course be catered for.
Since our last meeting things have hotted up and we are once again embroiled in a running battle with our local council and their contractors and this took up quite a lot of the meeting, for which we were joined by a member of another group also interested in the subjects under discussion, the more the merrier is our motto!

My son has produced a marvellous quiz sheet to be handed out to every child who comes to the fĂȘte, it has competitions for which there will be prizes,the committee was most impressed.

Every member of the group works so very hard and to a man they are dedicated to doing all they can to protect all the wildlife in our area, they are a wonderful group of people and I am proud to know them.

After what seemed like hours we left the pub and were once again out in the sun, the river was full of sparkles and swans ,geese, ducks and moorhens disported themselves along the shoreline. I made a quick trip to the the garden centre to pick up some plants and my poor son went home to do the vacuuming. On my return there was the steaming of the floors to be done and then one blissful glorious but all too brief half hour in my beloved orchard surrounded by birds,bees and butterflies.

Twiggy, our cat has always been a champion mouser and instances of small corpses decorating the steps, the chairs and the sofa upon which I have commented in the past. Finding her offering were not welcome she stopped bringing them indoors some time ago, today I discovered her secret mouse stash. Some time has elapsed since I used many of the tools in my shed and while searching for an Dutch hoe I found a large number of assorted mice in various stages of fossilisation and several quite fresh ones.

Madam was most seriously displeased when she observed me removing the pathetic little corpses to a more appropriate resting place,in other words I threw them over the wall in to the graveyard for the magpies and crows of which we have a great multitude. Imagine my chagrin when fifteen minutes later I returned to the shed to discover that Her Ladyship had retrieved her confiscated collection of rodents and returned them to my tool shed, defeated I went indoors to prepare dinner.

In spite of everything I have enjoyed today, I am so proud that my son has joined our group, of his own accord and his input is invaluable and much appreciated.

Past events have raise enough money to purchase bat detectors, moth traps ,trees to plant, 20 nest boxes and much more. Weather permitting we hope for a good turn out as we wish to purchase more bat boxes and bee house for our conservation area.

Keep your fingers crossed for us please.

No comments:

Post a Comment