Saturday 23 February 2013

A WARM KITCHEN ON A WINTERS DAY



Still suffering from the cold I caught a couple of weeks ago ,I am finding the entire situation rather old. Blocked sinus are the cause of my current distress,and of course the foul head ache which invariable attends such a condition..
Buoyed up a by the fact that I slept a little better last night I decided to get up and bake, in spite of all. As soon as Pa and I had finished breakfast,I began a baking session which was to last all day.

Rose cream butterfly cakes were first on the list,these being very popular with the boys,I made three dozen,decorated twenty four and the remaining twelve I set aside, these will be used to make a queens pudding next week. All through the day small fluffy snowflakes blew against the windows,watched by Moth,for me they served to make the kitchen fell even more cosy and warm.

dipped and I set about this with some trepidation. Firstly ginger Vienna fingers are ridiculously easy to break, and secondly I made a right Horlicks of the job a day or two ago. This time I remembered to melt the chocolate in a tube like container rather than a bowl,as this makes dipping them in the chocolate much easier. Something that I would have done automatically had I been in my right mind. I shall eschew any but the simplest tasks
for the next few days....better safe than sorry!

With a pan of melted chocolate left over I used some of the broken ginger cookies,mixed in some glacé cherries,mini marshmallows, nuts and rice crispies , and behold,rocky road. Quite possibly the easiest cake I ever made.

During dinner there was a minor skirmish between the cats. Twiggy,who had been asleep all day in my room arrived in the kitchen looking very moody indeed. Spoiling for a fight she hunted high and low until at last she discovered poor Moth hiding under my chair. The ensuing ill tempered exchange left my ankles badly mauled.
Stern words were enough to calm Twiggy who slunk away well aware that she was in disgrace,something she hates.

Moth,this time the innocent party was comforted ,calmed and returned to her basket where she soon went to sleep. I carried Twiggy off to my room and gave her a good talking too, then after a few moments she came to my desk to apologise and all was well again. While Twiggy is contrite all will be well, a fee days at least......I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment