Thursday 28 February 2013

FAREWELL TO COLD WINTER?







The last day of February has been bright with golden sunlight and the promise of spring. Of course the only promise more likely to be broken than this one is the word of a politician,especially a Liberal Democrat; who cares the sun was wonderful.

Our cats disported themselves about the orchard all day,Twiggy visiting old haunts and favoutite sitting places,Moth exploring her new home turf...much to Twiggy,s chagrin. From time to time a prospecting Tom cat appeared only to be chased off by either Twiggy or Moth, their dislike of these interlopers is, at present the only matter on which the two agree.

My son was drawn in to the sunshine and enjoyed a long walk,revelling in his freedom,the official notification of which arrived this morning in the shape of his P45.
I spent much of the day preparing the feast to celebrate the occasion,a large cockerel, raosted with all the trappings and panoply of a Christmas dinner.
Cockerel are unusal these days although the seem to be becoming fashionable again. A cockerel is a male chicken of twelve to eithteen months old, a bird of this age is tender enough to be roasted as you would roast a turkey. Older birds are called roosters and can be as tough as old boots,however they do make the most wonderfully flavoursome pot roasted fowl and the best chicken soup you can get.

I made my special fresh herb stuffing and I noticed while picking the herbs for this dish that the rosemary bushes are coming in to flower,another promising sign.
Roast potatoes of course and carrots ,peas and creamed leeks. Apple sauce and gibblet gravy completed the first course,follower by strawberry shortcake iced cream. We toasted the future in Herefordshire pear cider..perfect.

Late in the afternoon I took the buggy out and rode up the lane,the sun was setting and the sky was pearly grey. Nimbus stratus clouds stretched their feathery fronds towards me,and behind them the sun cast threads of palest gold. Cold fingers reminded me that I had been out long enough, happily I turned and made my way home to put the finishing touches to our feast.

While I a sure that winter has not quite finished with us, each day that passes brings us closer to spring,tomorrow is March 1st so don't forget to say white rabbits.




No comments:

Post a Comment