Tuesday 30 April 2013

A DAY IN THE GARDEN AT LAST





I went to bed knowing that if the weather was fine my son and I would be spending the day in the garden and my mind was so full of plans that I hardly slept a wink.
With my strong son to help with the heavy work such as moving large containers,bags of compost and bark chip I knew that by the end of the day things would be well on the way.

We began after breakfast ,assembling all the containers needed in the walled garden and removing any unnecessary items. I had built a small fire and we burned all the dead ivy before planting the new. This small walled garden was until recently a lovely spot,but damaged drains followed by a plague of rats ruined everything.

Finally we managed to persuade the Estate to ,not only mend the drains but to remove all the sewerage fouled gravel. Soon all the repairs will be finished including new and we hope rat proof doors for the outbuildings , so while the weather is fine I shall be sowing and planting this area,this will be Pa's own little garden.

I scrubbed out the pond and relocated it so that it can be seen from Pa's place at table and moved all his pet Semper Vivens plants to easily accessible places so that he can tend them himself. Surrounding the pond are containers filled with pretty shrubs and plants giving both cover for the birds and providing an attractive backdrop for the little pool.

There will be climbing roses and lots of fragrant herbs as well as some salad plants close to the back door for easy picking in wet weather,and of course a seat for Pa.

It is still very much work in progress but at least a start has been made and just to be out working in the garden again makes me very happy.

Tomorrow I hope to sow some flower and vegetable seeds if the weather remains fine but what ever tomorrow brings I am very thankful for this lovely day in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment