Saturday 27 April 2013

PARTY CHICKEN





Tomorrow we will be celebrating a total of five birthdays here at home and I am catering the party.
With one guest who detests fish and another who is allergic to cheese I was obliged to drop from the menu a number of our usual favourites and rummaged about among the recipe books for alternatives.
My son suggested chicken,this came as no surprise as left to himself he would eat it every day. Cold roast chicken,it seemed like a good idea and I have recently taken delivery of three large free range birds.

In the herb garden everything is frowning fast and I had the choice of Marjoram,Salad Burnet
Rosemary,Thyme,Chive and Parsley. Leaving the parsley for a salad ingredient and the chives for the potato salad I picked a few sprigs of the others,washed them and chopped them finely.

Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper were added and about two tablespoons of olive oil , I rubbed the inside of the chicken with half a lemon then massaged the herb flavoured oil in to the in to the skin of the chicken before wrapping in foil and roasting for just over two hours.

Chicken treated this way not only smells terrific while it is cooking but if allowed to stand for 24 hours and eaten cold it is moist and delicious having absorbed the fragrance of the herbs overnight.

The chicken will be served with a crown of granary rolls and a white bloomer and will be accompanied by a salad of sorrel and parsley from the garden, cherry tomatoes and beetroot salad.

I also baked a total of four cakes today,two were my usual lemon drizzle(these were baked on request) A tray bake almond slice and a large chocolate cake which will be filled with Chantilly cream and topped with chocolate fudge icing.

My son arrived home from his game and bemoaned the fact that he would have to wait until tomorrow for the chicken...he had to make do with a home made pizza...poor boy!

One of tomorrows guest gave me a box of the finest chocolate cookies as a thank you, he really is a dear boy.

Tomorrow the boys will be gaming in the living room which will give me a clear field in the kitchen to put the finishing touches to the cake,make some crisps and bake the savoury pastries, I also hope to make some chocolate éclairs if there is time.

I did not mind at all being in my warm kitchen all day as the weather has taken a turn for the worst and the cold east wind has returned with a vengeance.

We are all looking forward to tomorrows party,and hopefully a good nights sleep beforehand, with luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment