Monday 22 April 2013

GARDEN CENTRE RIP OFFS






Late though it be I decided to invest in a little new seed and some compost for sowing and for the containers,Oh boy, was I in for a shock.
Last year I could purchase most seed varieties for less than £2.00, this year not only had the price for many seeds risen to £3.50 plus,the number of seeds in each packet had been drastically reduced!

A 20 litre bag of expand and grow compost was £10.50, OK, I know it expands to three times the amount when water is added but that is still an extortionate price to pay for the 60 litres ,(the size of one average sized bag of ordinary compost )it would become after soaking. I should also add that my garden centre charges me £25.00 for delivery in spite of the fast that my house is at the end of their drive!

Disheartened I returned home feeling that my gardening days would end ,not because of my health but because I could no longer stand the cost.
I decided to look online and began with Amazon, my troubles were over,seeds from 50p a pack,quality seeds too,I ordered all I needed and felt happy again. I believe they do compost also for as little a £5.00 for 60 litres,I expect the carriage charge will be high I shall check it out in the morning.

Thanks to online shopping there will....weather permitting be runner beans this autumn,French beans during the summer,courgettes,salads,cabbages and kale all in their season. Crisp radishes,sweet beetroot,spinach and chard, and I shall have the great pleasure of growing these wonderful treats,weather permitting of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment