Thursday 25 April 2013

HOW MUCH TEA CAN A BUILDER DRINK?






I wonder if anyone has ever quantified the seemingly endless amount of tea drunk by builders,plumbers,gas fitters etc? During the last three days we have consumed a weeks supply of Yorkshire Tea,two packs of English Breakfast Tea...both leaf tea of course, and half a very large jar of coffee, twenty ISO drinks and half a bottle of gin(the latter consumed by me.)

At the moment we had three different professions digging up our yard, blasting hell out of out two hundred year old drains and attempting to effect a cure for our gas boilers chronic old age.
The gas fitter,a lovely young chap feels that it is gasping its last and a new one should be fitted,the Estate has decided to fit a carbon monoxide alarm.......yes well we are,as you may imaging full of confidence in this hopeful measure!

Fortunately there are so many draughts in our cottage that I doubt if there could b a sufficient build up of gas to cause any trouble. My neighbour once left his gas top on unlit all night with no ill effect what-so-ever!

This afternoon they broke the news that they would be back next week to do some more work,I feel that emigration may be the best answer to my troubles.

A conservation group of which my son is chairman met tonight at our Local Pub, this meant that dinner had to be at five thirty. We had just said goodbye to the workmen .hoovered and steamed all the floors,and |I was about to begin dinner when ,behold, another bunch of workmen, who will be working here tomorrow turned up to have a look at the job.

They trudged through the filthy yard straight through the house,I gave them tea and then departed to my room where I wept silently with frustration until they left. The alternative would have resulted in my receiving a long prison sentence for G.B.H. or even murder.

I know that I have done quite a lot of moaning during the last two days but even my renown hospitality has its limits I find. For instance,if you arrived at someone’s house and they were steaming the floor would you. A. Take off you shoes and come in. B. Go away and come back at a more convenient time. Or C. Trudge in with mud all over your boots,plonk down in a chair and ask for a cup of tea. Consider these questions rhetorical.

I have a party here on Sunday, celebrating five birthdays , I am catering the party and I mean to enjoy doing it. There will be three cakes...possibly more. Sausage roll s ,mini quiches,salad cheeses new baked bread and a large cold roast chicken with accompanying bacon rolls and blackberry jelly.
Home made vegetable crisps, cheese straws and anything else I can think of in the meantime.

For this I shall need my kitchen to be empty of all but myself and the cat. Quite how this miracle will be achieved I cannot tell....perhaps a plague cross on the front door,perhaps a banishing spell, maybe I could borrow my neighbours Great Dane, a complete softy who is afraid of cats but sounds like “The Hound of the Baskervilles”........we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment