Friday 26 April 2013

ALL IN A DAYS WORK




We breakfasted alone today,a first this week I think,but before I had a chance to feel spurned the builders arrived again for tea and toast.

My son having promised me a day of his time to move some larger items around the garden I was anxious to finish my indoor duties. The builders went out to work,I washed up and made a huge batch of bread,some for the freezer for Sunday's party,some for friends and some for us. I roasted a chicken breast needed for tonight's meal and was just about the head for the garden when,da,da DA!!!! The builders returned,this time for coffee.

I must say that they are doing a wonderful job but but does seem to be taking an inordinate amount of time.
Pa wanted to fed the birds and as the men had left the yard in disarray I went out to move the feeders and stands to a position Pa could reach... this took some time. I needed a length of chain to hand a heavy feeder and so I set of to the hardware shop where they wanted to charge me £9.95 for a yard of pretty nondescript chain,I declined and left empty handed.

I arrived home and had just changed in to my gardening togs when a maintenance man from the estate arrived with good news. What could it be I wondered? Perhaps my house was to be declared out of bounds? Perhaps we were being sent to Coventry? Nope. I'm afraid not!

I received the information that a new extractor fan for the cooker was ordered and would arrive on Monday with pleasure. I received the news that the manager would be away for most of next week with a lesser degree of enthusiasm. Granted,he is a nasty ,mean spirited ,malevolent individual of who I should be glad to see the back of...permanently. On the other hand this meant,I was gleefully informed that while the cat was away the mice would be free to avail themselves of my hospitality with impunity........until next Thursday!

I was resigned,I put the kettle on again,shut all thoughts of my poor garden out of my mind and sat down for a gossip.
Then one of my guests remarked that they had noticed a few little jobs needed doing about the garden...I felt a wave of hysteria wash over me.
The the dear man said that as the boss would be away next week they would bring their own tools and do some of the jobs for me,things like fixing trellis to the walls and sighting some new feeders and nest boxes............I felt the tears running down my cheeks, I could do nothing to stop them,I cried with gratitude and relief.

“Breakfast at 10.30 on Monday”I called as they walked up the path. “Lovely, see you then” came the cheery reply.
Isn't it wonderful how things turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment