Sunday 7 April 2013

WELL DONE MOTH





It was very late last night when the news came that moth's caesarean was over and that she had come through it well,the rest of the news however was terribly sad. One kitten,the large one that I had attempted to deliver was still born and the remaining two a male and a female were so small and weak that it was thought they would not last the night.

How we all rejoiced that out little cat was safe, but in my heart I grieved for those kittens,for Moth's sake,how dreadful to go through all that for nothing,having had difficulties with childbirth myself I felt for her disappointment.

We went late to bed in spite of good intentions,needless to say no one slept and although we had promised ourselves not to even think about the kittens it was impossible not to...I was glad when morning came.

Half way through breakfast a call came through from the vet,the kittens had made it through the night and they were trying to ensure they were feeding properly,it was still touch and go.
Although we did not know if Moth would be coming home I set about making the kitchen tidy,changing litter trays,washing bowls and dishes and most important preparing Moths new soft bed and ensuring easy access for her to all areas.

Another call ,the male kitten had been too weak to survive,the female,although having difficulty feeding had a good chance, Moth was coming home with her kitten. I have never seen my son dress so quickly, he was gone in a flash,Pa and I completed the preparations with renewed vigour. I am afraid to so that I cried as I finished making ready,they were tears of relief, for moth had her reward.

Moth arrived home in great state and was carried to the kitchen,she was pathetically glad to be home and during the journey the bond between her and the new kitten seemed to have grown. Every inch the proud mother she displayed her baby and then began to to wash the little mite. Often kittens born by caesarian are rejected by the mother,this time all seemed well.

The kitten(no name yet) is the image of her beautiful mother and we mean to keep her if all goes well.
I shall be busy feeding the little mite every two hours around the clock until it is strong enough to feed from Moth,moth is more than willing but the tiny kitten is still weak and we need to be sure she is getting enough food.
Daily weighing is also a must. We are not out of the woods yet,but it is impossible not to hope,our lovely Moth is home again,that's the main thing everything else is a bonus.

I shall not get much sleep tonight but oh, the difference from last nights desperate vigil,happy does not do justice to the way we,and half the village feel about this tiny miracle.

Good night to all ,wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment