Sunday 21 April 2013

AN ORDINARY SUNDAY







After a more than usually hectic week and a good deal more entertaining than usual it was lovely to wake this morning in the knowledge that this was just an ordinary Sunday.
Although this may sound dull to some,to me it is a rare and special event,as for many years for us Sunday was a day like any other, no |Sunday roast,no picnics in the park...nothing.

For the past eight years my son had worked alternative Sundays and on his off Sunday has entertained his gaming group at home..in the kitchen...no chance to cook .

Prior to this Pa, who worked in the “entertainment business” worked almost every weekend,for as long as I can remember. Sundays for us have been ,up early,chores, work, fast meals and sleep,I have watched wistfully families out for the day enjoying the freedom of |Sunday off.

Don't get me wrong I would fill my time gardening or cooking or something,still I often wished that we could have just one day different from all the others,a rest day,a day for play.

Today,I drank coffee in bed while watching the London Marathon,then a ;lovely leisurely breakfast and an afternoon doing just as pleased.
For dinner I cooked braised partridges with root vegetable purree,roast potatoes, sugar snap peas and a sauce made with blackberry jelly, game stock and damson gin. Scones with clotted cream and jam finished the meal. A real Sunday meal,not a hastily cooked pasta or stew, I swear that I shall never take for granted the lovely holiday feeling of an ordinary family Sunday,even if I live to be a hundred.

Our little cat Moth has taken up residence in my sons bedroom and he is delighted, it is easy to see that those two are made for each other ,Twiggy is much calmer these days and is learning from Moth not to be afraid of visitors to the house. Last night she allowed our guest to stroke her pretty fur, I almost passed out with the shock.

For some time Twiggy has been known as Minximus Maximus, so moth has become Minximus Minimus, these names are for when they are being troublesome.... this is a common occurrence!

Now the dishes are washed and the kitchen is tidy and ready for another day. This has been such a happy day for all of us,my son most of all,for he is for the present his own master,and although he works himself hard,he is ,at least a reasonable boss,if you get my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment