Monday 8 April 2013

we Dare To Hope....


 WE DARE TO HOPE
Every two hours through out last night and during today Moths kitten received warm milk and moth herself a well deserved fuss. By three in the morning I was terribly worried as I had been unable to persuade the kitten to drink more than a few drops...it was not enough.

Of course all would be well if only the kitten would feed from her mother but so far we had only seen her do this once...that too was not enough.

The boys were having a well earned sleep. Poor Pa was worn out and my son , who had been so wonderful ,taking moth to the Vets and dealing with all the travelling was desperately tired, and since there was nothing either of them could have done it was pointless for us all to lose a nights rest.

All the same as I grew more and more despairing I would have given much for someone to talk to of my troubles. Bleary eyed I prepared a feed at six fifteen,I heard sounds from upstairs and by the time I had finished another abortive attempt to feed the kitten a cup of hot strong coffee awaited my in my room, made by the best son in the world ,it was the best coffee I ever tasted.

Of course my son,ever the optimist told me not to worry,that moth was probably feeding the kitten herself and that all would be well. I returned to my neglected slumbers one more time and finally I managed to sleep.
It is astonishing what a difference an ours sleep came make and after another feed I prepared our breakfast of porridge,I always find it heartening,especially if served with brown sugar and butter or cream.

At mine we called the Vet to ask her advise, she was very encouraging and so realising that we were doing all that could be done I tried again to feed the kitten this time she took some food. The next three feeds went well and then wonder of wonders the kitten do a poo! I know this is a strange thing to rejoice over but you see the colour of this tiny poo showed that without a doubt the kitten was digesting milk. The relief was overwhelming.

Moth continues to be the perfect little mother and it seems almost certain that the I
kitten is feeding after all. The two hourly feeding continues and another night with little sleep is in store for me, I admit that I am tired but it is worth every bit of trouble to see our pretty Moth gazing adoringly at her little one. To see my son with tears of joy in his eyes makes me certain that I shall do everything to ensure a successful out come.

We weighed the kitten and she has gained a little weight, she is gaining strength and moves about so much that her mother has to keep a paw on her to hold her still when she washes the little mite.

We have hardly dared to hope for a happy out come to this sad little story but we are now just beginning to dare ,enough to talk of a name for the pretty little kitten. At the moment it's two against one for “Maggie” Not because we had any fondness for the old girl,but because she was feisty and a scrapper, a survivor, as we hope Moths little one will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment