Saturday 20 April 2013

DOGGEREL





Do any of you remember the Rupert Bear Annuals of about fifty years ago. They were written in the most execrable verse imaginable. Today I decided to revive the ancient art of doggerel and offer up this “poem” as an example of the style.

An early start,the rowdy clock
Awoke our tribe at dawn
Our first guest at the door did knock
While I was in mid yawn!

A breakfast quick, a train to catch
A day in town for some.
For others forty winks to snatch,
Before the gang came home.

For Avie there was lots to do
There nearly always is.
Still I love the bustle of something new
Though I sometimes get in to a tiz!

Pasta and salad and garlic bread
With mushrooms on the side,
Then jammy scones with cream to spread,
And lemon cake beside.

While Pa snored on I toiled away
Preparing every dish.
Until at last I have to say,
They fulfilled my every wish.

My son arrived,his guest came too,
I fired up the stove.
By then there was not much to do,
But was already done with love.

Upon the feast,the ravening hoard,
Descended as one man,
To strip quite bare the groaning board
To the last bit of pasta and ham.

A final glass of good red wine,
To speed the parting guest.
He to his bed, I to mine,
Before my feet went west.
The feast was spread,our guest was fed
My busy day was done.
Now tired Avie's off to bed
With a cup of tea and a bun!

No comments:

Post a Comment