Tuesday 28 May 2013

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED





A fine mist of drizzle did its best to obscure the view from my bedroom window when I awoke this morning. During the night the sound of rain pattering upon the leaves of an Ash tree had lulled me as I drifted in and out of sleep, gentle rain on leaves is a lovely sound,soporific,soothing.

By the time I had dressed and tidied my room the rain was hammering down,lashing the trees and flattening the tall garden plants, not quite so attractive! It was apparent that there would be no gardening for me today...my son was already up and busy in the kitchen,the wonderful smell of hot buttered toast wafted up the stairs, my breakfast awaited my. Much cheered I took the stair lift (wonderful invention) and took my set at the table.

After yesterdays little contretemps the boys were on there best behaviour,especially Pa was manner can at time be a little unfortunate and who's choice of words often leaves much to be desired. One might suppose that after forty one years I would have grown accustomed to Pa's,lack of tack and yet if I am tired it can still catch a raw spot and provoke my temper;which it must be said can be frightful!

My son went to his room to write as soon as breakfast was finished and I decided to make a large batch of Staffordshire oatcakes, these reheated and covered with melted cheese would make a couple of breakfasts and served with bacon, eggs,tomatoes and mushrooms would serve as a fast evening meal later in the week.

These oat cakes are a type of pancake and are equally good if spread with honey. They are unfortunately becoming a rare delicacy even in the Potteries ,their place of origin,the last true “hole in the wall” oatcake shop having recently closed. They can,of course be purchased in supermarkets in North Staffordshire but these are factory produced and bear about as much resemblance to the real thing as a sliced white loaf does to a home made crusty one



All through the morning and well into the afternoon the rain fell heavily and then all at one it stopped,I grabbed my coat and keys and set out for a buggy ride. How thankful I was that I had taken my camera for the first thing I encountered was a beautiful horse drawn carriage parked in the lane opposite our cottage,now who would have expected that? Inside a beautiful Asian bride smiled happily at all who stopped to stare, she radiated a happiness which lit up the gloom .
I asked if I could take some pictures and she agreed, the horses were magnificent and the liveried driver and groom very impressive,but it will be the girl who will live longest in my memory for her beauty and her happy smile.



Mindful that it might begin to rain again I stayed close to home ,everywhere there was something to marvel at,a herd of cows grazing ,their legs hidden by buttercups. Tall cow parsley glowed in great swathes under the trees and in spite of the dim light the world seemed fresh and lovely.

Back at home and I returned to my cosy kitchen to finish the lasagne I had begun in the morning,served with garlic bread and a big salad it was just right for today.

Now the light is fading and I am sure that there will be more rain tonight. Moth ,one of our cats is asleep on my bed and Twiggy had chosen to roost on a radiator,we are all home and safe.


Home and safe sounds wonderful on a rainy night and I am thankful , with all my heart for this blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment