Saturday 4 May 2013

THE BIG 60



                                               OFFICIAL SIXTIETH BIRTHDAY PHOTO

Today I am officially old,am I bothered? Not in the least! My hair is no longer gold,it is silver instead,not a bad exchange to be sure. I have earned every line and wrinkle, every stretch mark and every other age related blemish,I am sixty and proud of it.

There was a time,not so very long ago when it was by no means certain that I could get this far,well here I am and I intend to enjoy every moment of it. Not for me the surgeons knife,not for me the fillers and the botox. Not for me the endless touching up of roots and apart from a little moisture cream I shall eschew all the anti ageing products which promise eternal youth.

This is me and if my appearance offends the folks must just look the other way.

Our society seems to be afraid of old people, it almost seems as if they think that age is contagious, something to be avoided at all hazard. The elderly are despised as useless, unattractive, old fashioned and out of touch. Not true!

                                                          AVIE AGED THIRTY



I was a sixties girl and that makes all the difference. My generation of women knew that looks were not everything, being attractive did not equate so entirely with the way one looked. I feel a great sadness for the young women of today who set such great store by their appearance that they resort at increasingly young age to breast implants and other cosmetic procedures.
God help them as the grow older.
Self possession has been replaced by self obsession and this makes slaves of those who believe that looks matter above all else.

We all grow old, but the emphasis should be on the word grow, for as we age we learn so much of life and the potential is there to do so much good with that knowledge. If we lock ourselves away for hours with our mirrors we risk ending up like the wicked stepmother in “Sleeping Beauty”.

Where is the shame in ageing exactly? Surely it is only natural that we each have out season of youth in which to dance and indulge in frivolity, just as surely then it is right to hang up our guns and allow the next generation the same privilege. The problem with today's young women is that they begin to worry about their looks before they are old enough to have even a single grey hair!

I don't mean to sound preachy but for Gods sake enjoy what you have while you have it and when the time comes that your turn ends bow gracefully from the starring roll and take with equal grace the part of wisdom in the great production called life.

My mother is almost ninety and yet she is still beautiful with a froth of white hair framing her sweet face, youth does not hold a monopoly on beauty , take a look at the face of your own mother , could it be any more dear to you? I doubt it very much.

I have had a lovely day filled with happiness and love, this is reward enough,and I know that tomorrow, if The Gods are willing that love and happiness will still be there. I would not trade this for my vanished youthful looks. I have loved my life and I love it still, I mean to go on loving it as long as I am spared to do so.

My Granny told me once that a smiling face at any age is a lovely face, I think she was a wise woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment