Thursday 23 May 2013

HILLS AND VALLEYS




It's been quite a day. I spent most of the day preparing a dinner for my son and some of his friends ,nothing too complex,a couple of large home made pizzas with dips and jacket wedges to start. The dessert a massive Pavlova smothered in cream and fruit.

The day seems preternaturally short and I ended the preparation in a hurry,only to have to slow things down for a late arrival.
I decided to check my mail box and the news was of the worst kind. I friend had contacted me to let me know of the death of his mother. I am sure that we can all imagine his feelings at the moment,I wish with all my heart that there was something I could do,but I know from bitter experience that each of us grieves in his own way even when surrounded by family and friends.

The empty place seems huge and the ache unbearable. In time the pain does ease but the void remains for ever,like and empty room no longer used,shut off from the rest of the house.
Life is like a mansion full of rooms and as we live our lives we fill them with our family friends and lovers. As we age the rooms are shut up one by one as we lose those dear to us until we are left in a house filled with nothing but memories,each room shut up with its past joys and woes.

All this sounds very morbid and I am sorry for it,it'd just that I know no other way to describe the loss of a parent,a child or a lover.


We should fill our days with laughter and love while we can,then the memories that echo around us will be happy ones.

In spite of my bad news the party went well,the food was well received and there was plenty of laughter around the table.It is always a treat to entertain my sons friends and tonight was no exception. it is also good to see my son happy and relaxed again.

Today has had it's hills and valleys,a bit like life I suppose. Goodnight to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment