Saturday 11 May 2013

"THE SMALL RAIN DOWN DOTH RAIN"




My blog title is a line from a rather slushy,or rather heart rending(,depending upon your disposition) song from the fifteenth century.

It has been my experience that there is damn all romantic about “small rain”, it is the kind of rain that drenches you before you even realise you are damp. This dampness permeates the house through keyholes and cracks and it forms a dull grey curtain between you and anything distant you may be looking at.

I spent most of my morning baking shortbread for my son,s volunteers at tomorrows river clear up.
Rejoicing I changed into my tatty old gardening togs and lo! The moment I set foot across the threshhold the small rain began to rain,yet another reprieve for the dandelions!

Muttering curses I returned to the house ,changed my clothes again and got on with the blasted ironing,by which time the curses were rather louder!

Towards evening a strong wind got up and blew all the fleece covers of the seedlings......more curses...then the rain cam in torrents. Didn't Dan Chaucer say something about “ April with it's showers sweet ,I'd like to wring the old fools neck!.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment