Friday 10 May 2013

TAKING STOCK






This morning I received a reply from the Secretary of the conservation group from which I recently resigned,it was curt,which did not surprise me in the least. It is a real relief to be free of the group at last for at times it has felt like dragging a cart with no wheels up a mountain track.

They are a good group of people but oh dear,I have seen more life in a Beechams pill! One couple only turn up for our annual fĂȘte to which they bring along such dodgy looking victuals that no one will buy them and then they insist upon being reimbursed for the cost of the ingredients!

Our Chairman,goes into hibernation during the winter months,does not answer his phone or emails which means all business must be suspended until the warm weather comes,this year it was rather late. His absence has cost us dear on more than one occasion,too many for me .

We have a mad tree hugger who has with her wayward letter writing done far more harm than good and apart from myself and my son there is one other member who more than pulls her weight and between the three of us most of the hard work gets done.

I shall still fight for our cause to the bitter end but I can no longer afford to waste my limited energy one the groups dubious activities.

The trouble with committee,s is that the eventually become more important to some of the members than the c\cause for which the group was initially formed........I was press ganged on to two committee’s very much against my better judgement,one down one to go.

I feel as if I have been let out of jail. These middle class genteel types think that any direct action is tantamount to guerilla war fare,well if guerilla warfare is what it takes then so be it. Had I not taken direct action yesterday by positioning my self and my scooter in such a way as to prevent further felling three years hard work would have been destroyed in half and hour and many nests now full of young birds would have been destroyed.

Nothing is going to be gained by holding yet another half baked event on a muddy field to raise a few pounds, most of the group could afford to donate twice as much as we make without even noticing it. We should have been obtaining grants and sponsorships,that’s where the real money is.

The bottom line is this,it does not matter a damn how much money we raise to buy and site bird boxes and bat boxes,the releasing of butterflies and moths if the habitat in which they are to be located has been trashed.

Without the constraints of the committee I am now able to act as I think best and if that means getting myself arrested and being charged with causing an obstruction so be it. The group need no longer be concerned that their “Good name “ will be sullied by my militant activities..

No comments:

Post a Comment