Tuesday 11 June 2013

A SLOW CRAWL THROUGH TREACLE

                                          

I've had on of those odd days that happen from time to time,a queer kind of swimming through treacle day where I seem to be very busy yet actually achieve very little. It may have been because the day was dull just as we were becoming used to sunshine,who knows? All I know is that the whole family was affected by the same feeling, a sort of never quite waking up feeling.

Breakfast was rather late and it was as we ate our Scots Crumpets, with hot strawberry jam and cream that we realised that all of us were feeling less than our best. I had intended to do some gardening in the afternoon but by the time I had cleared the kitchen,received the weeks grocery delivery,placed the quarterly meat order and finished making the Elderflower cordial it had begun to drizzle.......it would be drizzle....it perfectly mirrored my mood.

Unable to do anything constructive in the garden but in need of some fresh air I took the buggy to Home-base,to deliver a jar of home made strawberry jam to a young fried who works there, and I was happy that I had done so when on a swift look around before heading for home I discovered the very thing for which I had been searching in vain for some time; A small set of drawers for Pa to keep his tea and coffee sachets.

I couldn't believe my luck, this close to Fathers Day I had almost given up hope of finding anything suitable,yet there it was! You see, Pa is unable at the moment to make himself a hot drink,his hands are so badly affected by arthritis that he simply cannot manage a kettle. With this in mind my son and I have purchased a small gadget which boils just a single cup of water and dispenses it on to the beverage of your choice.

This will be kept at his bedside so of course he will need to keep sachets of coffee, chocolate, Ovaltine,tea and Bovril beside his bed also,not to mention small cartons of milk, this neat little set of drawers will easily hold all those things tidily and more besides.

Pa hates to wake me during the night and will not do so just to ask for a drink and it worries me that he lies in pain without even the comfort of a cup of tea. Now he will be able to have a drink at any time ,at night ,or on the rare occasion he is left alone in the house,his happiness with this gift shows to me how much he needs it,to feel self sufficient in these small things means a lot when one is battling disability.

The sky grew greyer still and Harry,our neighbours Ginger Tom bounced in at the back door like Tigger to spend half an hour chasing a toy mouse around the living room. His antics were so comical that even Twiggy,who usually snarls when Harry appears sat spellbound as he cut capers, pouncing and leaping tirelessly .When he tired of this amusement he pinched Twiggys lunch and then shot out of the back door pursued by an angry Twigs........business as usual.

The rain became heavy as the afternoon progressed, and we all became even sleepier, my son continued to write (his second novel in this series) he needs to be ready to publish in a few weeks time when I believe two are to come out together.

I gave up all attempts as gainful employment and played ma jong for an hour before dinner.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is dire , this means that I shall have no excuse not to iron the boys shirts,of which there are a great multitude..........Bum!!!


I intent to have an early night with a movie and a bag of Haribo, there is nothing like a little self indulgence to lift the spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment