Saturday 1 June 2013

HERE COMES SUMMER......WE HOPE!





In spite of all I said yesterday I suppose that deep down I had hoped that I would awake this morning to brilliant sunshine and warm air wafting gently through the window. What I got was another grey chilly morning with the same light level as an October afternoon.

Nothing daunted went down stairs to breakfast on that rare delicacy Spaghetti on toast cooked by my son,we all love it and it’s one of the few tinned things we eat. I had a long day of baking in prospect and so I began as soon as our meal was finished by making three trays of melting shortbread.

Still in quite a lot of pain,but glad to be up and about I decided to make a couple of lemon drizzle cakes, having been asked by a neighbour to bake something for a Big Weekend street party.
The cakes were made and ready but no one came to collect them,this left me feeling distinctly dis-chuffed as there was no way I would have undertaken so much baking feeling as I did had I not promised the cakes and cookies weeks ago.

My son offered to take them over to the party but I said no! If they could not be bothered to collect them I would be damned if I was running about any further at their behest.

My son has some friends around tomorrow ,a couple of whom live alone and have a pretty thin time of it .being lousy cooks,I decided that I should much prefer to treat the boys than bother about the street party.
I have no doubt that my neighbour will have an excuse ,I just wish he had let me know and spared me the work an a day when I could well have done without it.

The weather stayed dry for the party but oh,so dull, I did not feel well enough to go my son was writing and Pa dislikes such events. I enjoyed watching the children frisking past our garden gate with brightly coloured balloons and bird whistles,wind mills and streamers.

The constant pain is very tiring and after so many days I have little reserve of energy left, I made a quick meal of individual toad in the holes,or is it toads in the hole,or even toads in the holes? Very quick but also very tasty as it has in it apple sauce and onion.


I cannot tell you haw very glad I am that today is over,now I can sink into my bed with a hot water bottle and some codeine , simple pleasures are the best I find. Ho hum!

No comments:

Post a Comment