Sunday 30 June 2013

IN A JAM !





The trouble with jam making is that there is a fair chance that just when you need to be standing over a large pan of boiling fruit and sugar,the weather will be hot.
It is by no means a matter of choice,and although some fruits can be frozen I do not think it does anything for the flavour and besides,strawberries do not freeze well'

By this morning I had three five pounds of strawberries with more on the way, I bit the bullet hauled the maslin pan down from it's hook,hulled the strawberries and my ordeal began.

The oven was on to sterilise the jam jars and a kettle steamed away to scald the jar lids,this coupled with the boiling fruit made the kitchen unbearably hot,I put on wrist bands and a sweat band and,looking like an overweight tennis player I went back to work.

The resulting row of bright red jars was my reward,the price was a bad outbreak of prickly heat,I stood for ten minutes or more in a cold shower,until I felt numb the dried off by on open window.

Tomorrow I intend to do the minimum amount of cooking.......none!

My sons latest book is selling very well and beyond all expectations and he is now beginning to appear on a number of top sales sights,which all helps. With another book out in three weeks and a third on the way ,it has been a very successful launch.

My boy has worked hard,he deserves to do well.




No comments:

Post a Comment