Sunday 28 October 2012

FEELING THE COLD






Being a northerner I have always prided myself in (Not being nesh) as they say in my home county, twenty years of living in the much more temperate south seem to have taken their toll. Of course it could just mean that I am getting old,in either case I am most seriously displeased!


For the past couple of nights I have covered my bed with two fur throws and a patchwork quilt,in the past this amount of top dressing would have stifled me...not last night. Oh I was fine whilst I remained in bed but on the several occasions when I was obliged to leave this haven of warmth I returned chilled to the bone.

I sourly contemplated the next few months while listening to the wind thrashing about in the trees,with the punctuation of the occasional loud crack it was sufficient to keep me awake,even if twiggy had not insisted upon kneading the bed covers every five minutes!

Even the extra hour in bed did not make up for the sleepless night and it was a very yawny company that assembled for a breakfast of porridge. Twiggy and the new cat moth continued to spar throughout the day,as the house was full of my sons friends both cats preferred to be outside,I do hope that they will sort out their differences soon as having to keep leaving the doors open is rapidly becoming a pest.

During the afternoon I threw on a slanket and spent a couple of hours catching up with my correspondence,really I think it is time I hired a secretary to deal with this mounting pile of unanswered letters e mails and cards. I try to prioritise but that can never work as everyone feels that they are important and should be answered directly and quite right too. Sometimes I long for the days when our only means of communication with the outside world was a party-line shared with a neighbouring farmer.

I wrapped a few Christmas gifts and wrote out some cards but my hands were so cold that I have up,filled a small hot water bottle and cuddled up in my easy chair,I was asleep within seconds.

I feel very lazy today but my son tells me that I have earned a break from housework shopping and baking and I agree. There is just one slight problem,if I don't do the ironing,baking and housework who will? Perhaps I need a cleaning lady as well as a secretary, now where is that lottery ticket?

No comments:

Post a Comment