Tuesday 23 October 2012

ROUND AND ROUND AND ROUND SHE GOES,WHERE SHE STOPS,NO BODY KNOWS





Oh what a day I've had! I was up early to see my son off to a dental appointment,unfortunately I had messed up the dates and he had to make another appointment,he was very forgiving about the fact that he had been dragged out of bed at the crack of dawn and sent off on a fools errand by his dotty mama.


This débâcle was followed by the fastest breakfast in history after which I was obliged to go out and buy a new lampshade,having sat down with a bump upon my old one whilst attempting to make the beds.

I raced back as we were expecting the grocery delivery and the asbestos man to check the sheds and fireplaces,while we waited for the expected visitors we received five parcels all from different couriers and a friend who called in for a chat . The groceries arrived, so did the asbestos man ,complete with the facilities manager......a real bonus!

Through out the course of the morning a strange smell have been drifting around the upper floor of the house,it was particularly bad in my sons room, after a fruitless search for the source of the pong I lit incense and went to the kitchen.

Tonight dinner was to be a rare Staffordshire delicacy known as Lobby. Not to be confused with the famous Liverpool dish Lob Scouse,although I am sure that they must be related in some way. I had just put the Lobby on to cook when my son appeared in the kitchen brandishing a burnt out light bulb.....this ,and the fact that the light fitting was badly burned had been the cause of the strange pong.

Back on the buggy and back on the way to Home base again I began to feel that I had not stopped moving since dawn,I purchased a new fitting and a new bulb and fled homewards.

Now comes the sad part of my tale,as I reached home I was met by a dear old gentleman ,a long time friend. He and his daughter had recently moved to the seaside and had been looking forward so much to their new life, only three weeks after the move his daughter died suddenly.

I was grieved for my old friend and for his daughter,a lovely selfless lady who had always time to help any one in need in spite of that she was already caring for her ninety year old father.

H ow he will miss her,as will we all, and, to make matters worse his son is dying of bowel cancer, life is a bitch sometimes! Thankfully he has another daughter to help look after him,how my heart went out to him as I watched him walk away,shoulders hunched as if from a blow and mopping his eyes with a handkerchief,life is a bitch.

We all enjoyed the Lobby in spite of everything but I was so tired I was obliged to leave Pa to help my son with the washing up.

Life, kind and cruel in the same breath, tragic and comic all at once,it seems strange and yet how could we bare it if it were otherwise. “After the sun the rain,after the rain the sun as the song says.

Joy and sorrow follow us throughout our lives tempering each others effects. I hope with all my heart that my old friend can find comfort in his remaining daughter and a little happiness at least in the knowledge of how much he is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment