Thursday 25 October 2012

OF CATS AND COOKIES





Pheeeeew! Another day spent fizzing about, how does it always came about that everything happens at once? The day began propitiously with a nice breakfast cooked by my son,it was afterwards that things got hectic.

Firstly the little cat whom we have called Moth arrived famished and was fed at once,disposed to be a little more friendly and far more venturesome she came in to the kitchen ans after exploring a little ,sat down on the kitchen rug.

She is a talkative little soul and every time she is spoken to she answers with a meeeooow,which is both plaintive and loud. W e were certain the this would wake Twiggy,who was asleep on my bedroom chair but we need not have worried for she slept all day until seven thirty in the evening!

Pa went to buy more cat food ,my son to write and I remained in the kitchen with Moth to begin a marathon baking session which was to last all day and began with a large game pudding. A basin lined with suet pastry, filled with a mixture of venison,rabbit and pheasant,topped with a hand full of sliced onion,topped up with water and then covered with a suet crust.

I covered this monster with a pleated sheet of tin foil,tied it round tightly with string and the set it in a pan of water to boils gently for six hours.

Pa had not returned so I made four dozen spiced caramel cookies, these are a real favourite as each cookie has a whole caramel sweet set in to its centre, I filled the oven three times.

While this was happening the little cat went off for a walk, I kept the kitchen door open for her, cleared up the mess and them wet on to make three dozen Halloween cookies the recipe for which proved tricky.

Pa had not returned so while the cookie dough was chilling I went out for a buggy ride and to breath some air that did not smell of baking! On my return Moth was sitting happily upon a pill of Hessian shopping bags and
Diamonds, a notorious local Tom cat was emptying the dish of food which I had left for Moth.

I ordered Diamonds to desist,rolled out and cut the cookie dough and while the first batch were in the oven managed to gain Moth's confidence so far that she allowed me to stroke her pretty fur and my how she purrrrrrrred! Just then Diamond appeared and chased Moth on to the shed roof,after much howling and scuffling both cats disappeared and \I returned to my baking.

At five Pa had not returned,I began to think of calling the police when he strolled in as if he has only been go for half and hour, history shall not record my remarks at this time!

With all the cookies baked we finally sat down to dinner, the pudding turned out beautifully and was served with a rich dark gravy and a selection of root vegetables.....yum. I was by this time shattered.

Now we discovered that Diamonds had chased the kitten in to next doors yard,the gate was locked, the walls were high,her wails of distress were heart rending. Diamonds,who was picketing our yard was scooched of and as soon as they arrived home the boys went next door to ask the neighbours to open their gate. While they were doing this I was doing the washing up...alone.

After a while I persuaded the boys to position a step ladder against the wall so that Moth could come back whenever she felt it safe to do so. Twiggy who had slept all day came to the kitchen for some food...it was just like
goldilocks and the three bears.

“Who's been sitting in my chair.” She searched the kitchen with a face like thunder, I left, feeling like Judas.

We did discover that the neighbours too have been feeding the new cat .however since they both work all day they do not want a cat and so it is down to us.

How al this will work out I cannot tell,for now,with throbbing feet ,aching legs and the Grandfather of all backaches I am off to have a very hot shower,after which I intend to fall in to bed and wait to see if Twiggy will forgive me and spent the night with me.

We have made faster progress with the new cat than we could have hoped and I am sure that had Diamonds behaved she would have spent tonight indoors.....ho hum

No comments:

Post a Comment