Monday 29 October 2012

UNDER STARTERS ORDERS





I spent most of today preparing my kitchen for the onslaught to come,I like to have a very clean oven at this time of year,no burnt grease to spoil the smell of the Christmas baking. For the next few weeks my oven will be working overtime as I bake cakes for friends and fill hampers for charity raffles,it keeps me busy but \I would not miss it for the world.


Of course it can be difficult when my hands are painful but now I have a mixer things are easier about the baking. I hope to start the ball rolling tomorrow by baking our family Christmas cake,a large boozy confection stuffed with 32oz of assorted fruits,if all goes well I shall publish the recipe tomorrow.

I have been watching the situation in the U.S.A. with mounting concern,I never heard before of a hurricane in New York or Washington D.C, we have friends in New York on 32nd Street which makes it personal somehow. I wish everyone in the hurricanes path a safe passage through it,good luck and God bless you.

Here the weather has turned cold as I mentioned yesterday,now I go about swathed in woolly sweaters,fleeces,fingerless gloves and the sort of furry bootees which I used to laugh at my granny for wearing, as one becomes older comfort becomes the prime object when buying footwear.

A recently purchased pair of winter boots are my pride and joy at the moment, they have toggle sides and are very easy to get in and out of,a plus when one has arthritis,they are so thickly lined with fleece that
I no longer have to struggle to put on socks when I go out and although they look exactly like Ugg boots the only cost twenty five pounds..hoorah for warm feet!

The cats are ignoring each other at the moment and the new cat seems to prefer to sleep outside,although she does come in for her meals ,Twiggy is standing on her dignity and the new cat Moth just howls like a banshee when food is required....often.

My son returns to work tonight and has the appearance of one going to the gallows,it seems such a pity, he used to love his work...not any more...one thing is certain,he has far more patience than I,in his shoes I would have told the company where to get off ages ago,and the managers as well,praeter te of course

No comments:

Post a Comment